Is it so wrong to not like The Beatles?

The Beatles are simply beyond any judgement or analysis.

They are ICONS.

There was nothing like them before and there has been nothing like them since.

Transcendent.

They changed EVERYTHING.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles are simply beyond any judgement or analysis.

They are ICONS.

There was nothing like them before and there has been nothing like them since.

Transcendent.

They changed EVERYTHING.

And there is likely to be nothing like them in the future....

(Oh yea...Kanye West..I forgot :stunned )

LouieB

I feel like the "next" Beatles will have to be something like a group of (musical?) artists on the web. Someone who, years from now we'll be saying 'the web was never the same after (The Web Beatles) came around'. Cuz the world doesn't need another Beatles, and even if we did, they won't come to us in the form of a rock band.

I don't trust anybody that does not like The Beatles! Seriously Wild Frank, Kudos for you having the guts to throw that out there. I don't get it but I admire your grit!

To me the Beatles will always be my desert island band but I can (kind of) understand where you are coming from.

Several times I have made mix CDs for friends of mine who have never heard Wilco and the first thing they say to me is they like them because they remind them of the Beatles. So my way of thinking is Wilco = Beatles. You can't like one without liking the other. But I could be wrong, you might not like either.

I'm with you, Wild Frank. I respect how "important" the Beatles are, but really couldn't stand to listen to any of their albums for a long time. Later on, I did some force-feeding to myself and realized I basically just don't like the way some of the melodies are put together. "Hey Jude" and "Yesterday" typify the kind of Beatles songs I just can't stand.

Yes, they were great innovators, but that doesn't mean they're automatically the best. That's like saying the Wright Brothers were the best pilots ever, because they flew the first airplane.

Meanwhile, I really would rather listen to Buddy Holly, or Elvis, or Woodie Guthrie, or Bo Diddley, or Little Richard, or the Stones, or the Who, in terms of pre-1970s music. It doesn't make me a bad person, or stupid, or musically illiterate. It just means I have different taste, and I think it's awfully close-minded to say that people who dislike the Beatles just have no taste in music. It's called personal taste for a reason.

Wilco is what the baby of The Beatles and The Replacements would sound like, if Steely Dan was the godfather.

"Hey Jude" and "Yesterday" typify the kind of Beatles songs I just can't stand.

You deserve to be burned. Just kidding, but seriously...

Given that I'm a college kid and I have to deal with douchebags on a consistent basis, I've relaxed my "You don't think the Beatles are the best ever? You die..." sort of stance I used to adopt. But to play down importance of the Beatles is even worse. Like my friend, who thinks Anberlin is better than the Beatles...he should be taught a life lesson, or rather a lesson that will stay with him for the rest of his life, if you catch my drift.

Like I said, it's personal taste and all that. But I think nowadays, everyone knows the Beatles, but the musical forebears that led up to them are less known. McCartney is cool and all, but should he REALLY be more famous than Chuck Berry among people under the age of 30? I am not convinced.

Put another way, I think you can just trace back this "importance" argument until it becomes nonsense. If you want to talk about the invention of pop music etc, I think Hank Williams deserves more props amongst the mainstream than what he gets. Yes, we're all tired of people deifying him, but you can make a parallel case for why he's super-important and whatnot, and we're not really a standard crowd, amirite?

I am also curious as to a couple questions among the respondents in this thread:

1. If you had to pick just one, would you prefer to have only-pop/rock-related-music, or only country-derived music?

2. If you had to pick just one, and the other would disappear forever and you could never hear it again, would you prefer the Beatles, or Dylan?

My answers:

1. Country/western-related music

2. Dylan

In other words, I think this thread kind of relates to what musical heritage appeals most to you / what styles of music you are into. Beatles are great and all, but I prefer the line of music that goes through Waylon and Willie into the modern-day country and alt-country and Americana, as opposed to the line that leads up through rock and all that and into indie-rock. So to me, the Beatles are the someone else's granddad, who definitely influenced everyone, but don't directly appeal.

That's Beatles or Dylan question is very very difficult.

Both are incredibly saturated with infinite amounts of inspiration and moments of pure genius, but I think Dylan hits me in a more gut level. The Beatles music is beautiful music, no doubt about it. It's just as eternal and revolutionar as Dylan's music is, but, to me, Dylan, in his most perfect and inspired, sounds like life, much like A Love Supreme sounds like life.

It's difficult and a part of me really can't decide, but I'll go with Dylan.. Beatles.. (dylan)

And as much as I like country based music here and there, the whole realm of 'rock-related music', as you put it, makes it an extremely easy choice. Pop and Rock, which I would assume includes punk and indie and metal etc, is what I love the most. That's the music that matters most to me, among the various other types. Either that or I misunderstood the two choices.

=

1. Country/western-related music

2. Dylan

Me too....but do I have to??

How is Hank Williams not appreciated? His records probably sell way better than Chuck Berry, who was influenced by country music as well, and who isn't all that well remembered either. Hank is constantly being repackaged.

LouieB

I'm with you, Wild Frank. I respect how "important" the Beatles are, but really couldn't stand to listen to any of their albums for a long time. Later on, I did some force-feeding to myself and realized I basically just don't like the way some of the melodies are put together. "Hey Jude" and "Yesterday" typify the kind of Beatles songs I just can't stand.

Yes, they were great innovators, but that doesn't mean they're automatically the best. That's like saying the Wright Brothers were the best pilots ever, because they flew the first airplane.

Meanwhile, I really would rather listen to Buddy Holly, or Elvis, or Woodie Guthrie, or Bo Diddley, or Little Richard, or the Stones, or the Who, in terms of pre-1970s music. It doesn't make me a bad person, or stupid, or musically illiterate. It just means I have different taste, and I think it's awfully close-minded to say that people who dislike the Beatles just have no taste in music. It's called personal taste for a reason.

Thanks, I was beginning to think I was on my own. I'm gonna leave leave this thread alone now. My closing comments sums it up and proves I am sane.

1) I accept that the Beatles are the greatest band ever. They are the most influencal and have the largest catalogue of classic pop songs. There is no-one remotely even close to them. I live in Shrewsbury in the UK, which is relatively near Liverpool, and was brought up on the Beatles. In this Country they are beyond critisism. They are Icons.

2) Personally, I never have any desire to put on the Beatles and listen to them when I am on my own and listening to music. They're not my thing. I own no Beatles CD, all though I could easily reel the albums off to you. I could probably name over a hundred Beatles songs, which shows how influencial they have been.

I always find the talk of Dylan and The Beatles interesting.

I believe The Beatles did not care for him at first, but then, John became rather taken with him. You can clearly see this in the Help! film. He even began to dress like Dylan.

It is also been said that one of the reasons Dylan "went electric" was due to the success of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

They shared some common musical influences - such as Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and Elvis.

I always point to the comment made by Mick Jagger that before Dylan "people were writing euphemistic songs about love". Including The Beatles.

I think Dylan dismissed them at first, due to the fact that folk/blues performers looked at them as "making teenybopper" music.

At some point, he changed his mind.

As has been said before - check out Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) and 4th Time Around.

Of course, George became rather taken with Dylan (and The Band), hanging out with them quite a bit at one point.

It's always interesting to me that they went from Beat inspired "psychedelic" lyrics - back to more straight forward lyrics/music.

Rubber Soul (Winter 1965)

Highway 61 Revisited (Summer 1965)

Blonde on Blonde (Spring 1966)

Revolver (Summer 1966)

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Summer 1967)

John Wesley Harding (Winter 1967)

The White Album (Winter 1968)

Nashville Skyline (Spring 1969)

Abbey Road (Fall 1969)

I've never really met anyone who has dismissed The Beatles, but, of course, music freaks (and even regular folks) can like and dislike whatever they want. Dylan is generally dismissed due to his voice - or people being turned off by his "finger pointing songs".

Thank you, and that concludes today's lecture.

What else is one suppose to do with knowledge no one gives a shit about - except post it in a place where people gather to talk about stuff no one gives a shit about. :lol

:lol

What else is one suppose to do with knowledge no one gives a shit about - except post it in a place where people gather to talk about stuff no one gives a shit about. :lol

My sentiments exactly..obviously...take a trip to jazzland...

LouieB

At least here we (I) don't get blank stares, when we go on about Jimi Hendrix's original name, or the invention of ADT or what have you. I appreciate that, if nothing else.

I suppose part of the deal with The Beatles is the cultural phenomenon around them, which I can't really separate from the music, although sometimes I can.

At least here we (I) don't get blank stares, when we go on about Jimi Hendrix's original name, or the invention of ADT or what have you. I appreciate that, if nothing else.

I suppose part of the deal with The Beatles is the cultural phenomenon around them, which I can't really separate from the music, although sometimes I can.

What is ADT?? it is early...

Nah sorry....The Beatles music is great. The only problem with it is that it is terribly overexposed so that has taken the sheen off it over the years. But clearly people want it or these remasters wouldn't be big news or be selling (not to mention RockBand). I just don't see how one can't like some of the Beatles, since no matter how many times you have heard some of their songs, there are others that are just too good to pass up. I must admit, I sometimes switch off a radio station when they come on, simply because 40 years of hearing them day in and day out does get to be a bit of a drag.

LouieB

The only problem with it is that it is terribly overexposed so that has taken the sheen off it over the years. But clearly people want it or these remasters wouldn't be big news or be selling (not to mention RockBand).

"Overexposed, commercialized, handle me with care."

You gotta wonder what the Dark Horse would have had to say when Rock Band was being pitched to Apple Corps.

Of course, George became rather taken with Dylan (and The Band), hanging out with them quite a bit at one point.

I think it's from the Eat the Document footage that Dylan tells Lennon (between heaves) that he needs to 'listen to Harrison more' or something.