Listening to Vin Scully on the Dodgers radio broadcast tonight. My God. It's been said in so many places and in so many ways and it's generally accepted as true but I have to say that Scully is so much better than any other broadcaster I've ever heard.

I subscribe to the mlb audio package and try to catch as many broadcast teams as possible throughout the season. I've heard most, if not all. Scully is simply in a different realm than anyone else. I can't imagine another voice I'd rather listen to: tv, radio, any sport, in history. Comparing Scully to other play-by-play men invariably becomes a race to find the analogy of the most extreme disparity possible. And for good reason. I'm blown away.

Larger subject: anyone else a wanna-be connoisseur of sports broadcasting men(women)/teams? It's a small time hobby for me. :D

I don't care for Scully, actually. That said, he really is better than virtually any other sports broadcaster out there ... which to me is a disturbing comment on the sad state of the profession. ;)

When it comes to baseball, Scully is number 2 right behind Ernie Harwell.

My favorite broadcaster of all time is Keith Jackson in his prime. When he showed up on campus, you knew it was a big game.

i definitely appreciate vin scully but actually prefer charlie steiner.

i also am a big fan of the mlb audio package. with the inclusion of the i phone app this year, it was easy to listen to the cubs shitty season wherever i might have been.

WOW!!.... I'm a die hard dodger fan, who right now is dieing from that loss last night... and I Along with hundreds think Charlie steiner is pretty awful... He can't call flyballs, he makes every flyball sound like its heading for the fences... Scully is just on another level, he knows when not to talk unlike all announcers around now

WOW!!.... I'm a die hard dodger fan, who right now is dieing from that loss last night... and I Along with hundreds think Charlie steiner is pretty awful... He can't call flyballs, he makes every flyball sound like its heading for the fences... Scully is just on another level, he knows when not to talk unlike all announcers around now

and every word he uses paints a clearer and broader picture of the action. Listening to him feels like watching with your favorite grandfather or something. Listening to him, to me, is more vivid than watching the game.

WOW!! i prefer steiner. i am sure it is due to my affinity for him unrelated to dodgers baseball.

i did not say he was better and am glad to defer to a die hard dodger fan such as yourself on who is better.

GO DODGERS!!

I would say Scully is good but I prefer announcers who are more technical about the game. I enjoy listening to Jim Palmer here in Baltimore because he tells it like it is.

Also, since we have some announcer connoisseurs here... Does Bob Costas wear a toupee?