Wow, it's been quite a while since I've used a drum machine, and I'm not really sure what's out there now. How do you plan to use it? If you're recording, I'd strongly recommend against buying an external drum machine/sequencer when there is software that is much more effective.

Even for live use, I would probably recommend using a laptop, but back before computer recording and sequencing became so accessible, I used to use a Boss Dr. Rhythm, and I recall that it was pretty easy to program and was designed with guitar players in mind, but I don't know if they even make those anymore. If there are still any floating around out there, I would imagine a used one could be had for less than $100 (I just checked: the new, improved model is going for a little over $200 -- there really isn't the large variety of dedicated drum machines there once was, I guess due to the rise of computer-based sequencing). Hell, I probably still have my Dr. Rhythm somewhere, if it didn't get lost in a move.

I use an old Korg DDD-5. Not the best out there, but has some charm and decent sounds. Your best bet would probably be to look for a used machine of some kind. Roland makes a few decent ones (Bands like the Magnetic Fields still use them for recording.)

I used to use a Boss Dr. Rhythm, and I recall that it was pretty easy to program and was designed with guitar players in mind, but I don't know if they even make those anymore. If there are still any floating around out there, I would imagine a used one could be had for less than $100 (I just checked: the new, improved model is going for a little over $200 --

I saw one of those yesterday for $250. It must've been a new one.

The way I'd use it would be to program rudimentary drum tracks to songs I make up on guitar, then play/record guitar along with them, and then add real drums. I don't need super-realistic drum sounds, just something that is easy to use. I know that's sort of a mixed up way to record, but playing real drums first, unaccompanied, and then adding guitar and other instruments isn't giving me the results I'm happy with.

Here's a new machine I found for $100. This would probably be more than sufficient:

Zoom MRT3

zoom_mrt3.jpg

• 1 month later...