Afghanistan Thread--Vietnam comparison and Nobel Peace Prize

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

This is all semantics to me, SpeedRacer. War is complicated.

I know, and I'll stop this line of discussion with this last post. As far as I'm concerned, qualifying statements ("contents subject to change") aren't required when their inclusion is a total no-brainer. Every single post on these boards would require an "Opinion: subject to change." disclaimer if we were operating on the assumption that those kinds of statements require disclaimers. This, of course, is only my opinion; you are not required to agree with it, and it is subject to change at any time.

Don't Ask Don't Tell is difficult to repeal purely because of the hit to his political capital. Iraq is a logistical clusterfuck, in which hundreds or thousands of lives hang in the balance. If he doesn't repeal Don't Ask he's a political whore and a coward, because he is placing his own importance ahead of other people's lives. If he doesn't get us out of Iraq in the time he said he would back when he didn't know all the details, he is someone who assessed a situation incorrectly.

Edit: I would MUCH rather he wait until he is militaristically confident that he can pull out of Iraq in the safest way possible than do it when he said he could.

I do think he will be the President to get us out of Iraq. I also think it will kill his political career.

[/quot

See in my opinion it's isane to feel that a gay tights issue like dnt ask dnt tell affects the lives of soilders with more harm than a pointless unjust perpetual fundamentalist warhawk WAR

but I do agree obama is a whore and s coward just like every other commander in cheif in history and dnt give me that JFKnonesense

the truth is America is the war hand of the global elite why aren't more countries in Afghanistan were there not bombings in Spain?

The funny thing about the truth Is that it is what it is

What was the point in the first place it's all about 911 isn't it or did evry one loose their minds over the last 9 yrs

Did you know that the passport of one of the hijackers was found in the rumble of the collapsed towers now isn't that strange

Obama is bcming a master firgure head while he is vunrable to the lunatic right he can mold the morals of the left into fascist war strategist by attaching leftist new world coming sentiments

• 1 month later...

Amazing that such naive belief still finds its roots in America. Hitler and his minions would have used Pastor Arnold's intestines to grease their tank treads.

Not sof far fetched...they made lampshades out of the skin of Jews.

Ah, here we go...

http://original.antiwar.com/eric-stoner/2009/12/18/a-lesson-on-nonviolence-for-obama/

Victories Against Hitler

Contrary to Obama’s speech and the dominant narrative about World War II, nonviolent movements in several different European countries were also remarkably successful in thwarting the Nazis.

In 1943, for instance, when the order finally came to round up the nearly 8,000 Jews in Denmark, Danes spontaneously hid them in their homes, hospitals, and other public institutions over the span of one night. Then, at great personal risk to those involved, a secret network of fishing vessels successfully ferried almost their entire Jewish population to neutral Sweden. The Nazis captured only 481 Jews, and thanks to continued Danish pressure, nearly 90% of those deported to the Theresienstadt concentration camp survived the war.

In Bulgaria, important leaders of the Orthodox Church, along with farmers in the northern stretches of the country, threatened to lie across railroad tracks to prevent Jews from being deported. This popular pressure emboldened the Bulgarian parliament to resist the Nazis, who eventually rescinded the deportation order, saving almost all of the country’s 48,000 Jews.

Even in Norway, where Obama accepted the peace prize, there was significant nonviolent resistance during the Second World War. When the Nazi-appointed Prime Minister Vidkun Quisling ordered teachers to teach fascism, an estimated 10,000 of the country’s 12,000 teachers refused. A campaign of intimidation — which included sending over 1,000 male teachers to jails, concentration camps, and forced labor camps north of the Arctic Circle — failed to break the will of the teachers and sparked growing resentment throughout the country. After eight months, Quisling backed down and the teachers came home victorious.]