Why dont they ever cover anything live?

It seems like they stopped doing covers about 2-3 years ago but here is a list of some I remember:

Something In the Air

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

Love Will Keep Us together

Ziggy Stardust

I Shall Be Released

Don't Fear The Reeper

Comment?

Political Science

It seems like they stopped doing covers about 2-3 years ago but here is a list of some I remember:

Something In the Air

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

Love Will Keep Us together

Ziggy Stardust

I Shall Be Released

Don't Fear The Reeper

Comment?

Political Science

Yup and there have been many more hell there is even a two disc set called "Someone Else's Songs" that is just wilco/tweedy covering other artists.

Funny you should say "outgrown" because I am a big fan of Pearl Jam and they are like the opposite in that they have been playing more and more covers as they get older.

Also has Bruce Springsteen "outgrown" covers...plays them at every show.

At the Memphis show in October they covered Big Star's "In The Street" with Jody Stephens on the drums. John sang lead with Pat on backing vocals. It was outstanding. I think most fans want to hear Wilco play Wilco songs though and I think I fall in to that category. It's so rare that I get to see them, that I want to hear their entire catalog when they do come to town. But hey, any Wilco show is a good show. If they wanted to throw in some covers I could deal with it. The one Tweedy solo show I attended, he talked almost as much as he played and I had a great time. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

At the Memphis show in October they covered Big Star's "In The Street" with Jody Stephens on the drums. John sang lead with Pat on backing vocals. It was outstanding. I think most fans want to hear Wilco play Wilco songs though and I think I fall in to that category. It's so rare that I get to see them, that I want to hear their entire catalog when they do come to town. But hey, any Wilco show is a good show. If they wanted to throw in some covers I could deal with it. The one Tweedy solo show I attended, he talked almost as much as he played and I had a great time. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

It wasn't the full lineup of Wilco, but those who participated in 7 Worlds Collide covered 'Something In The Air'. A fun cover to hear is 'Don't Fear The Reaper'.

It wasn't the full lineup of Wilco, but those who participated in 7 Worlds Collide covered 'Something In The Air'. A fun cover to hear is 'Don't Fear The Reaper'.

Jeff also sang 'Fake Plastic Trees' during 7 Worlds Collide. It was actually a pretty good version.

Funny you should say "outgrown" because I am a big fan of Pearl Jam and they are like the opposite in that they have been playing more and more covers as they get older.

Also has Bruce Springsteen "outgrown" covers...plays them at every show.

Just to be clear, that's not my opinion, just one someone else stated here a long time ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the band kind of agrees with it. Or, as their catalog grows, there's less room in the setlists for covers. Having said that, I saw them play Fear the Reaper as a closed in West Des Moines, it was fantastic. The drum tech came out and played cowbell.

I agree with the OP in that they should play more covers. I assume I'm in the majority of the people here who could go a show or two without hearing Jesus, ITMWLY, Heavy metal Drummer. Throwing a cover or two in, if not just for part of the encore would be great.

I also think they should change up their setlists a little more but I understand the arguement for not doing it (mainly i dont think your average wilco fan is maniacal and sees them at least 2 times a year)

For the covers you gotta go with solo Tweedy i guess. Fake Plastic Trees was fantastic. Also saw Simple Twist of Fate and Wrote a Song for everyone

The new years show they did with The Flaming Lips in 2004 was a great show for covers:

Livin' After Midnight

Love Will Keep Us Together

Political Science

I Shall Be Released

Something In The Air

(Don't Fear) The Reaper

Gut Feeling / Slap Your Mammy

Comment (If All Men Are Truly Brothers)

The new years show they did with The Flaming Lips in 2004 was a great show for covers:

Livin' After Midnight

Love Will Keep Us Together

Political Science

I Shall Be Released

Something In The Air

(Don't Fear) The Reaper

Gut Feeling / Slap Your Mammy

Comment (If All Men Are Truly Brothers)

Hmm. I was just listening to this yesterday in my car. And I truly mean this. I seem to only listen to the covers from this show. :thumbup

Hmm. I was just listening to this yesterday in my car. And I truly mean this. I seem to only listen to the covers from this show. :thumbup

I loved that portion of the show! After the ball drop they just turned into a cover band for forty minutes. Jeff even made a quip about it at one point.

Jeff played several great covers earlier in the year at his solo Valentine's Day show in Chicago. Some are already mentioned here (such as Fake Plastic Trees, Simple Twist of Fate) but I want to give a shout out for his cover of Iggy's I Want To Be Your Dog. He did a fantastic job on that one.