• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avatar may not be so good for smaller budget directors (although in all fairness, you can also blame Transformers and the Pirates sequels...)

Gilliam slams 'Avatar' for taking funding from smaller films

15/02/2010 - 08:18:19

Terry Gilliam has blasted ‘Avatar’ for limiting the opportunities of less successful filmmakers.

The ‘12 Monkeys’ director said James Cameron’s epic 3-D blockbuster – now the biggest grossing film in history – cost so much to make, it meant many other projects missed out on funding.

He said: “There are so many small, beautiful film-makers and actors and directors with so much potential that just can't get a look in because the studios are pumping all their money into these huge projects.

"There are such incredible lower-budget films that are magical, but we've got our work cut out with things like ‘Avatar’ coming out.

“How are these young talents supposed to get a look in without the budget? That's the sad thing, because they are just as good."

‘Avatar’ cost a rumoured $300 million to make, and has pioneered new 3-D technology in cinema, but film critic Barry Norman suggested this doesn’t mean it should automatically win awards.

He added: “‘Avatar’ will win all the awards this year, not that it deserves to.

“James Cameron's films are designed to make money and that they do well. The films that make the most money are not the best films."

I sympathize with Gilliam's point--and also mourn the sorry state of affairs for independent cinema--but Gilliam seems to be knocking the Hollywood business machine for, um, behaving like a Hollywood business machine. What else is new?

I sympathize with Gilliam's point--and also mourn the sorry state of affairs for independent cinema--but Gilliam seems to be knocking the Hollywood business machine for, um, behaving like a Hollywood business machine. What else is new?

Gilliam should start reading the Wall Street Journal. Hedge Funds have been dying (sometimes literally) to send money to Hollywood. He just needs a power lunch with an ill-advised portfolio manager.

Gilliam should start reading the Wall Street Journal. Hedge Funds have been dying (sometimes literally) to send money to Hollywood. He just needs a power lunch with an ill-advised portfolio manager.

Terry's had to scrounge for funding in Europe, where sketchy European investors hold his productions for hostage and demand unreliable French stars to appear in them as a precondition to sink their cash into his films... (See Lost in La Mancha to see what I'm referring to...)

Terry's had to scrounge for funding in Europe, where sketchy European investors hold his productions for hostage and demand unreliable French stars to appear in them as a precondition to sink their cash into his films... (See Lost in La Mancha to see what I'm referring to...)

Great flick. As much as I love him and his movies, I would pass the opportunity to invest in a Gilliam project.