From Ain't It Cool News and probably other places too....

"Don't know if this is newsworthy, but I just saw a Variety Screening Series showing of Avatar at the Arclight theater in Hollywood tonight, followed with a Q&A with James Cameron and two of his visual effects artists. One of the artists mentioned that they'll never again do this for the first time, meaning that everything they did in the making of Avatar was just a lot of instinctive grasping in the dark. Cameron agreed with him. He also told him to expect the studio to want another one, as they'd passed the billion $ mark. A second film will be easier, as the technology now exists, thanks to the movie. The moderator asked if there *would* be an Avatar sequel. To which Cameron answered that the plan had always been to make a trilogy of films. Finally, Cameron actually said it: "Yes, there'll be another."

As I said, I'm not sure how newsworthy this is, but thought I'd pass it on."

I still haven't seen it yet.

I'm hoping once those pesky college kids get back to session I can see this without it being sold out.

Although, I should blame myself, since I go on $6 dollar Tuesdays (with a fee for 3D). It's not a dive theater at all.

The screen is actually pretty huge.

Another local theater (with stadium seating as well) just started a 2 for 1 Tuesday to compete with this theater.

Pretty much you and a guest pay for 1 ticket. I paid $2.75 for a matinee of Sherlock Holmes. It would have been $4 for an evening showing.

I don't think Cameron would like this news, since he wants to make all of his/the studio money back.

Edit: On the same site there's an interview with Bill Paxton, it seems that he wants to do a sequel to Twister in 3D. Let the floodgates open Hollywood.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Runaway Jim

That's definitely newsworthy to me. I hadn't heard anything about plans for an Avatar trilogy, but I'm excited.

I've also been waiting to see who would jump on the 3D bandwagon. I would definitely pay to go see Twister 2 in 3D. That would be bad ass. But they'd really have to bring back Philip Seymour Hoffmann or I'd be a little disappointed. "You slaughter your own cows, Aunt Meg? Nice..."

Hey I know nothing of this film except that it has made record amounts of money and the characters are blue. But my eight-year-old just asked me if I would take him, and I have no idea if it would be appropriate. Thoughts?

I think so, as long as he's not overly sensitive about loud noises, etc. and you're not overly sensitive about violence. There's nothing terribly "bad" in it in terms of sex, nudity, etc. and the language isn't bad at all (at least as far as I can remember). But it IS an action movie at the end, so there are a lot of explosions, fighting, people dying (though not gory), etc. Nothing much worse than what you'd see in a Star Wars movie, if that helps.

8 is right on the cusp, though... I don't think my 6 yr old is ready.

edit: found this content review http://www.kids-in-mind.com/a/avatar.htm (these people are hilarious at the things they report... but they're certainly thorough!)

I thought this deserved its own thread. I just caught the 10:20 PM show last night, reluctantly, when a friend dragged me to it who had just seen it the night before. We saw it on an IMAX in 3D, and I have to fess up to being a blown away by it. I was not looking forward to it, thought the trailer sucked (it frankly doesn't do the film justice). I see it sweeping all the technical category Oscars (easily) and getting a nod for Best Picture (easily, now that it's been expanded to 10 nominees). On top of everything - the flawlessly executed effects, CGI, etc., this film has a really big heart, a hugely compelling emotionally gripping story, which is what made Titanic great, too.

See this on an IMAX screen if you can, you need as big of a screen as possible to see this in its full glory and take all those HD pixels in.

I realize my perspective on this will probably come out like an uppity NPR correspondent, but having been bludgeoned by the ad campaign for weeks (months?) on this, and the fact that I STILL have no freaking clue what the movie is about just kinda turns me off. Is it a movie about special effects? that seems to be the only thing I'm clear on.

I realize my perspective on this will probably come out like an uppity NPR correspondent, but having been bludgeoned by the ad campaign for weeks (months?) on this, and the fact that I STILL have no freaking clue what the movie is about just kinda turns me off. Is it a movie about special effects? that seems to be the only thing I'm clear on.

It's certainly being advertised that way with it's tagline "You will never watch movies the same way again."

I've heard that the story is very similar to Dances With Wolves.

And people I know, who generally don't like big budget movies short on story, actually liked this film.

I haven't seen it yet, but I think once I do I will have low expectations going in.

this might help with the plot: ;)

original.jpg

But seriously, it's a very good movie. Everyone talks about the special effects because most of the movie is computer-generated... and done exceptionally well. What the main story line may lack in originality is more than compensated by the stunning visuals.

It's one of those movies where it's worth the $ to see in a theater (3D, if possible) as opposed to waiting for dvd/blu-ray.

It's an old story told in a very new, fresh and exciting way (IMHO). Some people complain that the story is old, but all stories are old, everything has already been done in one form or another. Avatar to me is a bit like an Episode I - III Star Wars movie if it was well written, emotionally compelling and had characters that I actually gave a shit about.

we saw it tonight. I just couldn't get past the abysmal plot and dialogue. I don't care how amazing the effects are, I just can't stomach it.

it made me sad to think that they had such technology and funds at their disposal--and came up with that. I look forward to someone taking the same kinds of tools and pairing them with the heart of something like wall-e.

we saw it tonight. I just couldn't get past the abysmal plot and dialogue. I don't care how amazing the effects are, I just can't stomach it.

it made me sad to think that they had such technology and funds at their disposal--and came up with that. I look forward to someone taking the same kinds of tools and pairing them with the heart of something like wall-e.

Sorry to hear that. It's not for everyone. I found it very entertaining, but I'm also a sucker for cheese, even very expensively made cheese.

All time domestic list:

1. Titanic (1997) - $600,788,188

2. The Dark Knight (2008) - $533,345,358

3. Star Wars (1977) - $460,998,007

4. Shrek 2 (2004) - $441,226,247

5. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - $435,110,554

6. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) - $431,088,301

7. Avatar (2009) - $430,846,514

Sorry to hear that. It's not for everyone. I found it very entertaining, but I'm also a sucker for cheese, even very expensively made cheese.

I too am a sucker for quite a few things in the cheese category. I think everyone should get to enjoy what they enjoy. As I said, now that we've gotten a glimpse at what the technology can do, I am excited and optimistic to see how these kinds of films will unfold.

Domestic all-time list:

1. Titanic - $600,788,188

2. The Dark Knight - $533,345,358

3. Avatar - $504,868,451

Worldwide all-time list:

1. Titanic - $1,842,879,955

2. Avatar - $1,637,262,209

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - $1,119,110,941

And the movie has hardly slowed down.

If Arrested Development were still on the air, Avatar could have done a hilarious cross-promotional episode with Tobias trying to get a role in the film as a blue man again.

I enjoyed the above statement probably more than I would Avatar, which I have no intention of seeing. Blue giant people, Cameron, a land far far away...I couldn't be any more ambivalent about it.

Finally saw Avatar over the weekend, in 3D - it was my first experience with the new 3D...

Very cool flick - was amazed with the beauty of it all, but was underwhelmed with the story. Definitely would recommend checking it out though. Was very impressed that the theater was full, even after 6 weeks after release.

I finally saw Avatar.

Decent popcorn flick. Nothing more.

To me, it's somewhat frustarating to see a movie like Avatar that has a very cool premise, very amazing visuals and effects, and a director with a great eye for what looks good on the screen. Yet, ultimately, it just ends up being goofy or silly or over-serious.

I totally got into the main character with the injured legs and his budding relationship. And I liked the military guy character. And the scene where she takes him to get his flying creature was all good. So much to like.

But by the end I felt like it was just another silly expensive Hollywood blockbuster. And worse, it was so damned serious. At least with the Die Hard movies or Indiana Jones movies there's a sense of humor.

Of course, it got nominated today. I really hope it doesn't win.