Dipping a toe into the world of electronics

Can I ask why the Creston fell out of the running? I was kind of pulling for that one.

edit to add: oops i got so carried away with my contempt of the Roland cube that I forgot to suggest to keep it around to use with your headphones, and get the full on tube amp for the occasions when you can crank it up.

I was wondering why he would just give me that amp! It is the Roland Cube, and what you mentioned is exactly what I would use it for. When the kids are sleeping I can put the headphones on.

As for the Creston... I think if this were not my first electric it would have been the winner. I think patience and the "play before you buy" mantra won out. Who knows! I may get the bug down the line and grab one of them too. Although I kind of have it mapped out that I can only buy one guitar per annum or my wife will kill me :lol

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering why he would just give me that amp! It is the Roland Cube, and what you mentioned is exactly what I would use it for. When the kids are sleeping I can put the headphones on.

As for the Creston... I think if this were not my first electric it would have been the winner. I think patience and the "play before you buy" mantra won out. Who knows! I may get the bug down the line and grab one of them too. Although I kind of have it mapped out that I can only buy one guitar per annum or my wife will kill me :lol

yeah, I'm on about a one-every-two-year pace, and even then i can't choose from the high shelf. maybe some day...

Guest Speed Racer

I finally had a chance to sit down and really play the Tele last night, and I can't thank all of you enough for the hearty recommendation. This is definitely a guitar that my abilities will grow into :lol , and I am positive I am going to have thousands of awesome hours play time on this guitar.

stagerug, get the Tele. It is flippin' awesome, and then we can just turn this into a big Tele appreciation thread.

yeah, I'm on about a one-every-two-year pace, and even then i can't choose from the high shelf. maybe some day...

This, my friend, is one of the joys of being married with seperate bank accounts.

I finally had a chance to sit down and really play the Tele last night, and I can't thank all of you enough for the hearty recommendation. This is definitely a guitar that my abilities will grow into :lol , and I am positive I am going to have thousands of awesome hours play time on this guitar.

stagerug, get the Tele. It is flippin' awesome, and then we can just turn this into a big Tele appreciation thread.

As I think on it, my pragmatic side is winning over my "need to be different" side, even though they are all great guitars. And for a first guitar, it is a solid choice. (the Tele, I mean) I just don't know. I'm going fishing this weekend in the Keys to get the heck out of the cold. I'm going to be meditating on it while soaking up some sun!!!!!!! :rock :beer :dancing

Edit: I think what I like the most about the Tele is that guitar looks like THE Guitar of my memory. That butterscotch color, with the crooked pickup and that scalloped headstock on top of the maple neck. When I think electric guitar THAT is the guitar I think of. Besides the fact that it sounds great, I think my childish nostalgia is what would draw me to buy that guitar. So much for pragmatism.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so here is where I am at on my search. The earlier list went out the door. I ended up with an Eastwood Airline 3P DLX in Vintage Cream!! Hooda thunkit. I spent some time playing a quite a few different guitars of various providence, and I liked this one the best for the $$. It is a pretty guitar (much better looking in person than in pictures... at least more classy looking that you would think in person) and it sounds great to me...and seems versatile with the 3 humbuckers. Has a unique sound... and a chambered body, which I may have gravitated to because of my acoustic background. I am looking to pair it up with a Fender Bassman reissue, and have had a few bids on ebay, but no wins so far. I will keep you all posted! Thanks for the help.

Awesome! Did you get one with a Bigsby or without? That thing looks positively amazing.

WITH of course! It is the first Bigsby I have played. I love it... I had to change the strings on it though, cuz I didn't care for the ones on it, and WOW, that was a learning experience. That Bigsby creates a wholly unique set of stringing issues. Luckily I bought two sets. And thanks... it really is SO much prettier in person than in pictures. I was blown away.

that's what I play. a LOUD amp.

Do you like it?

WITH of course! It is the first Bigsby I have played. I love it... I had to change the strings on it though, cuz I didn't care for the ones on it, and WOW, that was a learning experience. That Bigsby creates a wholly unique set of stringing issues. Luckily I bought two sets. And thanks... it really is SO much prettier in person than in pictures. I was blown away.

Do you like it?

even if you don't play with a capo, they can come in handy when re-stringing a bigsby.

even if you don't play with a capo, they can come in handy when re-stringing a bigsby.

Wow, I feel stupid, I never thought of that. Although I don't change strings very often on my Bigsby equipped guitar.

Do you like it?

to be fair, I haven't played it in years, since we live in a pretty small apartment, but when I had a space in which to play it, it was heaven. I used to enjoy using a patch cord to run both the normal and bright channels at the same time (I've been told hendrix did this on the old marshall heads but have never seen it confirmed in writing), setting the volume for the bright channel at about 2/3 of the volume of the normal channel. you get some really amazing break-ups in that mode when you get the volumes just right (where the natural overdrive comes in). it's a fantastic amp, but extremely loud as a result of no master volume. I was a bit of a purist/snob back then about such things, but have gotten over myself as a result of the humility of marriage.

yeah, i know. tried it in the shop and it plays pretty good and sounds really good. i think i'm really just peeking at my shoulders for angels and devils, as there are much more responsible ways i could be spending those 400 dollars.

DO IT!!! :devil

Surprised how affordable that is for such a classic reissue.

...put it in the bank... :angel :headbonk :devil

• 2 weeks later...

So i finally got the chance to take the new dano out for a proper spit yesterday at a gig. It did fine.

on the minus side: the neck is not ideal- the action is set up a smidgeon too high but not unplayably so. There is comfortable access to about the 15th fret, so you can't play too high up the neck.

on the plus side: unique sound which is surprisingly versatile. The bridge pickup setting has some chime and jangle, and can get pretty twangy for those who like that sort of thing (like me), turn the tone knob all the way treble and put it on the neck pickup and you can get some nice piano like-tones. The middle position does something which i don't think i've come across before- it seems to actually increase the output, which with the usual increased beefiness from using two pickups means the it really drives the amp more. played it through my vox ac15 and it sounded delicious. oh yeah, and it is gorgeous.

so now i'm in the honeymoon phase, which in my experience means that i will overuse it from now until i can put it into perspective and see what it really should be used for. Which of course will be the day i buy the next guitar.

-36e1fc905fd600a4_custom_665xauto.jpg

Smithereens, looks like a 52 reissue!

Extremely cool looking bass, too. Seeing that makes me very excited to receive the Fiesta Red telecaster replacement body I recently ordered. It's going to look like this (except mine is going to be non-relic, and probably a bit less faded):

1966-refin-tele-fiesta-red-l.JPG

When did the guy with the hat become morbidly obese? That's a shame.