Dipping a toe into the world of electronics

I'm a new parent. :wub I've been calling it Princess Buttercup, a la Princess Bride, because my girlfriend keeps calling the color buttercup instead of butterscotch.

Ended up with the Vox Valvetronix 15W, because I finally figured out how to us it. :lol I'm. In. Heaven.

Nice choice. Congrats!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a new parent. :wub I've been calling it Princess Buttercup, a la Princess Bride, because my girlfriend keeps calling the color buttercup instead of butterscotch.

Ended up with the Vox Valvetronix 15W, because I finally figured out how to us it. :lol I'm. In. Heaven.

Yay, you are going to love it. Nice name too! How exciting.

Guest Speed Racer

Photos soon! I'm in the process of moving, and found my camera but not my USB cable. It's the most beautiful non-lady object I have ever held! :wub

I decided against the Vox ACTV4 for the exact reason someone previously mentioned in this thread, and what Ghost has been saying all along; ultimately, it was too loud for me to get any decent crunch at a quiet enough volume. After a really, REALLY frustrating first stab at the Valvetronix model, I was three seconds away from getting a Marshall 15W with an MP3 in, which would have been pretty fun. On a whim, I walked back to the Valvetronix as I was checking out and finally got some great sounds on it. I'm still having trouble figuring out how to get a clean tone out of it, but I'll download the user manual tonight and give it a look. I can get some pretty awesome Black Sabbath tones, though. :lol I kind of want to figure out the riff to Enter Sandman now.

Incidentally, I nearly cut my fingers off doing some DIY plumbing on Friday night (unsuccessfuly) and had a lot of trouble playing the guitar at the store. (I also decided not to play it until I was sure I was going to buy *that* Tele, because my left hand would surely bleed on it once I started playing.) New threading on a faucet adapter = razor sharp. :mellow

OH! Such a wonderful guitar! I can't wait to show all of you! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your wonderful input.

Guest Speed Racer

Oh! And I forgot to tell everyone the best part of the story!

I ended up buying at Guitar Center, and got the best. deal. ever. The '52 Reissues were on sale for $1,599 (as opposed to the $1,810 I'd seen everywhere else), so I called my local GC to check stock. The guy said they had two left, one of which had cosmetic flaws. I asked him to be sure to keep one for me, and I'd be in that afternoon; he said yes, so long as I asked for him when I got there.

I arrived, and the Teles were marked down to $1,464, which definitely perked me up. The GC guy was super chipper and helpful; he even tried out the various amps I was looking at for me, on account of my cut-up fingers. And then, when I was checking out, I HAGGLED! I ended up getting the guitar with cosmetic flaws (the finish is prematurely checking, which I frankly doesn't phase me; I would rather the mint guitar go to someone who really wanted it). I asked if I'd get a deal on account of the checking and he said, "Eh, what the hell? How about $150 off?" I have never haggled in my life; I have a hard enough time asking for things that are mine to begin with. :lol I was very, very pleased with myself.

I was in and out in about 15 minutes. Not only did I get a deal, that guy probably got one of his fastest commissions ever. I would definitely go there, and definitely definitely buy from him, again.

terrific story, great job...

amps...doesnt bigwagonwheel have a fender pro jr? Maybe he can comment on that...i know its a great low wattage recording amp...course, i like the Blues Junior a lot for the money (as a practice/small gig amp)...

On a side note...fuck some plumbing. Ive had to replace 2 burst pipes this week...memphis was not built for 10 degree weather...

Guest Speed Racer

deepseacatfish has a Pro Junior he's quite happy with.

As for the plumbing, I didn't even realize I had shredded my hands because I was trying to look at the microwave to see what time it was. I shredded both of my hands before I looked at the faucet to see blood everywhere. Those threads were SHARP - I didn't even feel my skin getting cut.

I went to Best Buy and played a '52 Reissue Tele last night. :wub I'm headed to a guitar store today!

I also played the Valvetronix 15W model and had two problems: I couldn't operate the $%3@ing thing with all it's newfangled buttons (fixable), and I didn't like that the headphone jack was 1/8" (not fixable).

:wub :wub I think I'm about to get an electric!!

Best Buy carries guitars?

Best Buy carries guitars?

Some Best Buy stores are now full scale musical instrument stores. I've been trying to find a listing of locations, but their website is useless. The store near me does not sell instruments.

Guest Speed Racer

Yeah, I was shocked. I had never been past the computer section of that store and had to go look at the TVs. Five minutes later, I was holding a Tele. They were about $300 more expensive than the GC across the street, and the amps seemed a bit pricier, too.

They were about $300 more expensive than the GC across the street, and the amps seemed a bit pricier, too.

That's strange. Maybe they think they're serving a different market than Guitar Center.

One would think Best Buy would be offering great deals, at least at first, to pull in some of Guitar Center's customers.

Guest Speed Racer

Well, the Tele was lower at GC and Musician's Friend, but Best Buy had it priced the same as the independent stores in the area, and many other guitars were priced about the same as GC. I wonder if they're not quite cost-effective yet, to the stores?

I wish our BBY had a more developed Magnolia section instead of the instrument section.

More photos to come, but here I am jammin' in my jammies. I honestly didn't know anyone was in the room, not to mention taking any photos. :lol

uglidog001001.jpg

Well, the Tele was lower at GC and Musician's Friend, but Best Buy had it priced the same as the independent stores in the area, and many other guitars were priced about the same as GC. I wonder if they're not quite cost-effective yet, to the stores?

I wish our BBY had a more developed Magnolia section instead of the instrument section.

More photos to come, but here I am jammin' in my jammies. I honestly didn't know anyone was in the room, not to mention taking any photos. laugh.gif

It's a beauty, looks just like my guitar (picture included). Best guitar purchase I have made so I hope you like yours as much.

If you click your pictures back and forth quickly it looks like you are playing "You really got me".

Guest Speed Racer

If you click your pictures back and forth quickly it looks like you are playing "You really got me".

Close - "I Got You" :lol

The Vox can get some hilarious sounds on it if you play around with the amp modeling and the tone - especially on the Tele's muddy setting. Very otherworldly and goofy.

I didn't immediately realize that the case is a total cat-magnet. Closed = tweed for comfortable scratching; open = VELOUR CAT BED!!!!! I saw them scamper over when I came home from the store, and I've been keeping the case in an undisclosed location ever since. :lol

I didn't immediately realize that the case is a total cat-magnet. Closed = tweed for comfortable scratching; open = VELOUR CAT BED!!!!! I saw them scamper over when I came home from the store, and I've been keeping the case in an undisclosed location ever since. laugh.gif

laugh.gif Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that! I can't even leave that thing anywhere around them.

I didn't immediately realize that the case is a total cat-magnet. Closed = tweed for comfortable scratching; open = VELOUR CAT BED!!!!! I saw them scamper over when I came home from the store, and I've been keeping the case in an undisclosed location ever since. :lol

Sounds like your case has already been relic'd. :D

Damn cats. One of mine who has shown no interest in me for weeks suddenly insisted on loving me up last night when I finally found some time to learn how to use my new drum machine.

Let me throw this out there...

I have narrowed my search down to three:

1. Rickenbacker 360

2. Gretsch Brian Setzer signature

3. ...wait for it... the '52 Telecaster reissue

I have been given a small solid state practice amp. "The Cube"?? I can't remember it is upstairs.

Anyway, when I buy the guitar, I'll just take the plunge for a tube amp too, probably.

What recommendation would you give for amps for these three guitars? (within reason) I'm sure as far as what I play jives closely with what most of you do. I will not be jazzing or metaling it up all that often.

Guest Speed Racer

The Tele sounded great on the Vox ACTV4; I just couldn't get any crunch out of volumes that seemed acceptable for me and my apartment building. It would be easy-peasy to walk into any Guitar Center and pick up the Gretsch or the Tele to try out that amp; I don't think GC carries Rickenbackers, do they? I'd wager if a Vox and Rick sounded good with the Beatles, though, they're probably still okay together.

Let me throw this out there...

I have narrowed my search down to three:

1. Rickenbacker 360

2. Gretsch Brian Setzer signature

3. ...wait for it... the '52 Telecaster reissue

I have been given a small solid state practice amp. "The Cube"?? I can't remember it is upstairs.

Anyway, when I buy the guitar, I'll just take the plunge for a tube amp too, probably.

What recommendation would you give for amps for these three guitars? (within reason) I'm sure as far as what I play jives closely with what most of you do. I will not be jazzing or metaling it up all that often.

If it is the Roland Cube, don't trust it. One of the practice areas I frequent is unfortunately stocked with one of these so I have some experience with it. On the surface, it's many of the things the valvetronix is: 15 or 30 watt modelling amp for practice and hope use. However, by comparison, the Valvetronix sounds a hell of a lot better. Perhaps it is because it has the preamp tube inside.

No I'm not advising you to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but running any one of those nice guitars through that thing is like putting a wagon wheel onto a Cadillac.

Now that my rant is over, I would again urge you to take the guitar down to the shop and plug in to a variety of amps, to see which one gives you the sound you want. Here are some suggestions of what you might try: VOX AC15, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 20 or 30.

Can I ask why the Creston fell out of the running? I was kind of pulling for that one.

edit to add: oops i got so carried away with my contempt of the Roland cube that I forgot to suggest to keep it around to use with your headphones, and get the full on tube amp for the occasions when you can crank it up.