blu-ray/dvd players

I tried a search on this for existing topics, but found none, and just got frustrated over how sucky the search function has become

wife and I are looking at replacing our dinosaur DVD player. we never even considered blu-ray but now some friends are all evangelical about them.

any thoughts on what to buy (that hopefully won't be replaced in 6 months by something else)? do they have decent recording capability now?

gracias,

Poon

I recently got an LG BD390 and really like it. You definitely need to go the Blu-ray route. Not sure about Blu-ray recorders, though, and if any standalone players can even do that yet. The 390 is wireless and streams Netflix, Youtube, CinemaNow, and Vudu. You can also set it up as a media hub on your network (or access music, movies, etc., on your network). I haven't played around with those features yet, though.

Our DVD player died about 3 months ago. We don't have HD, even still I almost pulled the trigger on the Blu-ray because all manufacturers don't seem to be making quality DVD players any more. I got one for $35 bucks or so and it won't even display time elapsed or remaining. I'd say go blu-ray, they'll still play your DVDs.

I recently got an LG BD390 and really like it. You definitely need to go the Blu-ray route. Not sure about Blu-ray recorders, though, and if any standalone players can even do that yet. The 390 is wireless and streams Netflix, Youtube, CinemaNow, and Vudu. You can also set it up as a media hub on your network (or access music, movies, etc., on your network). I haven't played around with those features yet, though.

I might have this one too, maybe a lesser model - it's not pre-setup to be wireless.

But, regardless, I love it. Mine was about $200. Upgrades DVDs to high-def (kinda - DVDs are never going to have the resolution of a bluray disc)

Atticus, I would recommend a bluray player mainly because they're not expensive, and they're backwards compatible.

Our little DVD player died too, actually at the same time that we bought a new tv so I went out and bought a Sony Blu Ray player and it is great. Plays yer normal dvds and the new fangled BR discs too. So now we have this setup which is a millions miles away from the puny setup we used to have.

lg-42pg3000-plasma-television-300x261.jpg

Sony-Blu-ray-Player,0-7-155527-3.jpg

Go for it I say.