Marah. Man...that is a blast from my past.

Back in the day, I was a warrior over on the AOL Bruce Springsteen forums. After suffering through recommendations on Jesse Malin and Mary Cutrufello, Marah was a home run. The Kids in Philly record is definitely one of my favorite discs of all time.

I must admit I lost track or maybe interest after Float Away with the Friday Night Gods. It seemed at the time like Serge and David were intent on running off rhythm sections.

Kinda friends of mine, so I wont say too much. Great band, two bonafide classics: Kids in Philly and If You Didn't Laugh You'd Cry. Dave has had a tough road, some of it his own fault, but he is a trooper. Looking forward to hearing the new stuff and seeing them here at SXSW. As for Serge, he did not leave on bad terms. He got married, wife got a job out west and he moved and now he's a papa, so touring in the van for $o dollars couldn't really work for him. Don't think they will ever "break out", they blew their chance at that a few times, but hopefully they can build a nice, respectable following and get some of the credit they deserve.

can't imagine Jay & Jeff ever performing together no matter what

At the moment neither artist is bored or needs the money.

Meanwhile there is some new music on the Marah website. I have not listened to it, but I am told it is there.

LouieB

I want to thank A-man for bring Marah back to my attention.

I broke out Kids in Philly last week and was moved to go over to Amazon and buy 20,000 Streets under the Sky, If You Didn't Laugh , You'd cry and Angels of Destruction...

Dave and Serge are just so good...

• 3 years later...

New Album:

Marah - Presents Mountain Minstrelsy of Pennsylvania (link to No Depression)

Ghosts from the backwoods and lumber camps of Pennsylvania

David Bielanko and Christine Smith, of the rock band Marah, have put together an album that is as folky as folk can be. Starting with an obscure compendium of songs gathered from turn of the twentieth century Pennsylvania backwoods, lumber camps and hunting cabins, Bielanko and Smith have brushed up the material, written new melodies and recorded with a band organized from local talent. The invitation to perform drew in not just a core set of players (who brought along their banjo, guitar, harmonica), but an eight-year-old fiddler and the townspeople of Millheim, PA (pop. 900). In addition to the odd tuba or bagpipe, you can hear a hundred of the assembled citizens and a local barbershop quartet singing "Ten Cents at the Gate." The record was recorded live to tape, returning these songs not just to listeners' ears, but to the shared joy of music-making. The assembled band not only brings the songs back to life, but also the people, places, half-truths and flat-out myths recorded within them.