Australasian Tour Appreciation Thread

The last week truly has been one of THE funnest of my life. 3 cities, 6 concerts (including Nels and Glenn last night). Too many songs I had never seen done before live... Life is good. Huge thank you to the band and crew for making the effort to come all this way.

Here's what I liked:

- Finally figuring out who makes what sound on stage. After listening to many live shows, I never knew who did what part. Each night I would stand in front of a different person and realise what they added.

- Hearing I Got You 3 times.

- A member of the road crew who gave me a set list at the last show and said "Thanks for coming to every concert". :)

- Meeting new friends in the line outside. I'm going to be your new friend thats impossible to shake not matter how hard you try. And now I have an American friend for the Solid Sound Festival! YAY!

- When Jeff, John and Pat all step back from the mic at the exact same time. So synchranised.

- Mikaels random use of a toothbrush on stage. I don't have to understand to like it.

- At least thats what you said. I remember when I first heard it at the 7 Worlds Collide show and it still floors me everytime.

- Nels' crazy-leg-sitting-down-dance. You know what I mean.

- Glenn. I could watch him drum all night. I feel like he should be wearing safety glasses.

- Pat throwing the marraccas in the air and catching them without even really looking. My hand eye co-ordination is somewhat lacking so I'm super impressed by this.

- Kicking Television. Never thought I would hear that one live.

- John doing Its Just That Simple.

- Jeffs abililty to make anything funny. Even a bogan woman being a dick. Though I guess thats kind of like shooting fish in a barrell.

- The guy who requested Just a kid who was nice enough to move up so my friends and I could stand together.

- The fact the band not only didn't issue a restraining order, but were incredibly nice to me.

What I didn't like:

Hear hear!

Only saw the two Sydney shows, but they were the greatest two nights of my life. The band and crew were in fine form, Liam Finn was in fine form, the venues seemed great, and the audiences were generally great. Can't say Pat's shaker catching was always so ace, I thought there was at least one drop at the Factory!

Thanks too to exile for the Sydney recordings, great quality, and Wise Enough for descriptions. Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you, next time.

My highlights:

- Nel's pick

- Jeff's pick

- ALTWYS & Less than you think

- being within a couple of metres of Nels for a couple of hours. Still no idea how he does it.

- Jeff's shirt and accompanying soudtrack.

nice meeting you rebecca!... even tonight though it was "ballgame" instead of a show!. ;)

even after just the 2 melbourne shows, i had a great time seeing songs i'd never thought they play again, like When you wake up feeling old & Its just that simple.

i loved the way that Glenn can jump off his drums and land straight on his drum stool on the intro to ITMWLY - i should have put a drawing pin on it beforehand :lol

Laminated cat was another jaw-dropper

the way Jeff treated that girl that called him a 'fucking wanker' was awesome

Pat taking the spolight during the rockers. even Jeff stood back and let him have his moment of fame, while grinning

Jeff leaning against the stage and saying "hi froggie"

meeting Courtney from the US - such a sweet, fun girl

seeing Nels finding a pair of pants that fit him!

close to 3 hours on the last show with the whole band giving all they had. they probably would played longer if Jeff had a voice left after all that screaming

even though we went to footy match tonight, the conversation seemed to turn to Wilco shows after we realised who would win the game

thanks Wilco - come back soon!

I've stated this here before...but we are so fortunate to stand in the presence of greatness. Thank you, Wilco, for all you have brought to the lives of people who consider your music to be so important - and I am one of the many.

The Factory gig at Sydney was maybe one of the finest performances I've seen by a band in my life. Thank you for:

* The experience of standing directly in front of John Stirratt

* The intensity of At Least That's What You Said played live

* Playing not one, but two Big Star songs

* Showing all through a concert that this is a band who genuinely loves, gets off on, and is dedicated to the pursuit of beauty in music

* Giving me musical memories that I will carry with me for a long time

* The Factory recording - thanks, Exile. I have spent many hours going for long walks with headphones, grooving at the music and laughing at the banter between Jeff & crowd between songs. (You can hear me saying "beautiful song" after applause dies down for 'Company In My Back' to which Mr Tweedy responds off mic, "Thank you, sir." After 'Box Full Of Letters', Jeff playfully dresses down the crowd for not saying thanks after a request has been played so I call out, "It's just that simple"! which, I think, confused him for a moment before he went on to tell me that I had, in fact, made a request and that I wasn't understanding the concept. Lottsa fun.

* For making me think again, upon the direction in my own life and what part music should be playing in this.

There will never be another band like Wilco.

The last week truly has been one of THE funnest of my life. 3 cities, 6 concerts (including Nels and Glenn last night). Too many songs I had never seen done before live... Life is good. Huge thank you to the band and crew for making the effort to come all this way.

Here's what I liked:

- Finally figuring out who makes what sound on stage. After listening to many live shows, I never knew who did what part. Each night I would stand in front of a different person and realise what they added.

- Hearing I Got You 3 times.

- A member of the road crew who gave me a set list at the last show and said "Thanks for coming to every concert". :)

- Meeting new friends in the line outside. I'm going to be your new friend thats impossible to shake not matter how hard you try. And now I have an American friend for the Solid Sound Festival! YAY!

- When Jeff, John and Pat all step back from the mic at the exact same time. So synchranised.

- Mikaels random use of a toothbrush on stage. I don't have to understand to like it.

- At least thats what you said. I remember when I first heard it at the 7 Worlds Collide show and it still floors me everytime.

- Nels' crazy-leg-sitting-down-dance. You know what I mean.

- Glenn. I could watch him drum all night. I feel like he should be wearing safety glasses.

- Pat throwing the marraccas in the air and catching them without even really looking. My hand eye co-ordination is somewhat lacking so I'm super impressed by this.

- Kicking Television. Never thought I would hear that one live.

- John doing Its Just That Simple.

- Jeffs abililty to make anything funny. Even a bogan woman being a dick. Though I guess thats kind of like shooting fish in a barrell.

- The guy who requested Just a kid who was nice enough to move up so my friends and I could stand together.

- The fact the band not only didn't issue a restraining order, but were incredibly nice to me.

What I didn't like:

nice post

It was great to meet you too Froggie, will maybe see you at 1927. Seriously fun people in line, you feel like your old friends by the time you get inside. Hope those flying home today have safe journeys.

Thought of more likes:

- Jeff giving up and joining the crowd in singing the wrong words to Jesus etc, if you can't beat them join them.

- Dancing so badly I hit myself in the eye with my necklace.

- The Walken guitar

- Nels shag pile guitar strap

And I actually have thought of some dislikes (!):

- The huge blister on my foot from afore mentioned dancing that I have named Wilco.

- Whilst waiting at stage door for my friend to get her album signed I suspect I was mistaken for a hooker by some random old guy. "She might have only been the bakers daughter but she needed the dough"????!?!?! What the hell does that mean?? Its seriously put me off my favourite pair of red heels.

- Jeff giving up and joining the crowd in singing the wrong words to Jesus etc, if you can't beat them join them.

"She might have only been the bakers daughter but she needed the dough"????!?!?! What the hell does that mean?? I

i got mixed up in the verses on Jesus with singing either 'setting sun' or 'burning sun' in the wrong places, and Jeff noticed my lips and he said off mic to me "that's close enough"!

the dough qoute means you needed the money

Auckland and Wellington - my 3rd and 4th Wilco shows of the last 2 years.

Went to th the first one with one of my best mates (my partner in a brewery that has a beer called Pot Kettle Black!)... he'd not heard much beforehand and certainly

wasn't a fun. He was buzzing like nothing else afterwards. It was an outstanding show with perfect sound and an excellent set list. Loved jeff's lollipop guitar, yet another guitar with oustanding tone! Also the splendid end with the Being There tracks and Hoodoo Voodoo... Rock'n'roll!!!

The second gig was with my girlfriend, another Wilco fan of almost ten years. I dropped some of the aforementioned beer off backstage and then met her in town... she proposed, something she had been planning since just after we got our tickets. I accepted, of course! It wad quite a shock so the show was a bit of a blur but it was still superb. Another great show with highlights being the very different set list from the night before... And they played all the songs my girlfriend wanted (many of which, coincidentally, they'd not played the night before): theologians, sonny feeling, hummingbird, she's a jar. I'll never forget that show!

Wish I could go again very soon... And I'd love to hear Pot Kettle Black and Remember the Mountain Bed sometime...

Love what they've done to Spiders over the years. It's evolved nicely with the addition of the keys and the crowd clap. I'd love to see them really drag out that layered section at the end of Walken...

The second gig was with my girlfriend, another Wilco fan of almost ten years. I dropped some of the aforementioned beer off backstage and then met her in town... she proposed, something she had been planning since just after we got our tickets. I accepted, of course! It wad quite a shock so the show was a bit of a blur but it was still superb.

:thumbup