I'm moving to New York City

Hey everyone, sorry if there's been a similar thread, but I did a few searches and couldn't find one.

As I was saying, I'm moving to NYC this fall to begin an MFA in creative writing at The New School. I grew up on a small town on an island on the west coast of Canada, and I've never been to New York. So I'm a little freaked out.

If any members here live in NYC or have relevant experience, I'd really appreciate any advice you could give (where to look for affordable housing, where to eat, where to go out; where not to do these things as well!). I'm not totally foreign to big cities -- I've spent a lot of time in Toronto, and am currently living in Paris for a few months -- but I'd really like to arrive with at least some idea of what to expect.

This is kind of a vague request, but I'd love if anyone has tips. And if it helps to know, I'll be turning 24 in August.

Hey there! I have a bunch of friends at the new school, i'm sure you'll love it. i live on w 60th street, just moved up here from avenue a and e 13th street.

if you find a good broker, you can find relatively cheap places in chelsea (near the new school). i pay 900$ a month along with my 2 roommates, and we live in a 3 bedroom with a kitchen, bathroom, living room. if you devote a lot of time to finding a reasonably priced place, you should be able to live in a pretty decent neighborhood in manhattan.

that said, brooklyn has some awesome neighborhoods with great and cheap places to live.

as for going out, it's kind of an experiment to see what you like. i go out in brooklyn a lot, and the whole club/bar scene downtown is fun but can be a hassle.

:cheers

yelp.com will be your friend! Brooklyn as mentioned before is more reasonable and the trains are easy to Manhattan once you get used to it. In terms of fun places to hang out I like the lower east side, koreatown, chinatown (if your adventurous!) and just walking around central park. If you have any more specific questions let me know. Make sure you catch some concerts at Bowery Ballroom! Have fun! :dancing

When I moved to NYC in 1986 my uncle (who had lived there for most of the 1960s and 1970s) gave me one piece of advice: don't make eye contact with anyone. I didn't really follow his advice ...

My only advice is to walk everywhere. If you like cities, it's a great place to live.

When I moved to NYC in 1986 my uncle (who had lived there for most of the 1960s and 1970s) gave me one piece of advice: don't make eye contact with anyone. I didn't really follow his advice ...

So is that a do or don't? Nobody seems to look at me here in Paris, and I find that weird as hell.

Be sure to pick up a NFT (Not for tourists) New York City book. It's about 15 bucks and totally worth it - has an overview of all the different neighborhoods and will fit in your coat pocket.

Don't know how old you are but if you look hard enough you can find some pretty good deals in Alphabet City/Lower East Side, which are both hopping areas - especially at night.