MMJ to play biggest ever Louisville show

This is some of the most exciting news I've heard in a long time. The presale is on my birthday, and it's in my hometown and it's in the new arena. Holy smokes this is gonna be one for the ages. Hope some of ya'll will make it in for this.

My Morning Jacket to Play Long Awaited Hometown Show With Very Special Guests, The Louisville Youth Orchestra and Wax Fang

On Friday, October 29th, My Morning Jacket will be performing at University of Louisville’s KFC Yum! Center. Supporting the band will be the Louisville Youth Orchestra (LYO) and Louisville band Wax Fang. One dollar from every ticket sold will be going to the Louisville Youth Orchestra Continuing Education Scholarship, which raises money for at-risk youth to be able to attend school. The LYO was founded with the mission to provide high quality musical experiences and the opportunity to perform for the benefit of the Louisville community and its young musicians regardless of race, creed or economic circumstances. It is one of the oldest and largest youth orchestras in the US. The show will also continue the tradition of creating a “Local Louisville Village” inside the KFC Yum! Center, providing locally based businesses and non-profit organizations with a presence at their show.

Tickets for the show go on sale to the public on Saturday, August 14th at 10AM. A limited amount of tickets will be available at Ear X-Tacy on Thursday August 12th at 10AM, in celebration of the store’s 25th anniversary and its new location at 2226 Bardstown Road. In addition, My Morning Jacket will also be hosting a pre-sale to fans beginning at the same time. Check the MMJ shows page for information regarding the pre-sale, and other My Morning Jacket shows.

Sounds sweet. I'll bet those LYO kids are pretty excited. My daughter was in the Central Kentucky version of that this past year (CKYO), and it was a pretty big deal. but they didn't get to play with MMJ...

Greg, is that the former Freedom Hall there in Louisville? or some other place?

Sounds sweet. I'll bet those LYO kids are pretty excited. My daughter was in the Central Kentucky version of that this past year (CKYO), and it was a pretty big deal. but they didn't get to play with MMJ...

Greg, is that the former Freedom Hall there in Louisville? or some other place?

Freedom Hall is still there, in the middle of the city as part of the Kentucky state fairgrounds, but this is the new arena downtown which will primarily host UofL mens and women's basketball. This will be the 2nd ever event at the (gulp) Yum Center, after an earlier concert by the Eagles.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/56243/my-morning-jacket-recording-new-album-due-mid-2011.html

working on new album. it says they've never recorded in louisville. this is puzzling, i thought that silo was in louisville that they recorded the first few albums in. anyway, here's hoping they get back some of the early magic. never heard a band go bad so quick. jim james just needs to tone down the goofiness and keep the lyrics 'cool'.

The silo where they recorded the first three records was on Johnny Quaid's family farm near Shelbyville, Kentucky. Shelbyville is about 30 miles east of downtown Louisville.

I know I'm in the minority, but Evil Urges is my most played MMJ album. Love that album. And I've probably listened to Jim's songs from the Monsters of Folk album more than most of the first few MMJ LPs. I think Jim has one of the best voices in music, and I like it so much more when it isn't coated in all that reverb. Not all of Evil Urges' experiments were entirely successful, but I think it's an exciting album, and I like where Jim's songwriting is going so much more than where it's been. I'm psyched for the next MMJ record. After an Appalachian Voices show in Charlotesville last week, Jim said it'd be out early-ish next year.

I don't dislike EU, but it certainly had a shorter shelf-life than previous records for me. The title track is a knock out, especially the Led Zep breakdown in the middle, Smokin' from Shootin' is an instant Jacket classic to me, Aluminum Park, while fairly textbook is a big sounding rock song that I like very much. The problem to me is all of the middling slow songs that go nowhere and way too many unlistenable lyrics, Librarian comes to mind. I guess EU just seemed like a major stepdown after the role they were on for the three previous records. Very similar to Sky Blue Sky after what preceeded it.

I can see all those points. I think the slower songs do meander a bit too much without hitting anything huge. But I love the album, maybe because of it's flaws. I love that so many of the experiments delivered, and I love that they experimented in the first place. I'd probably cut off Librarian and Sec Walking maybe. There is a lull in the middle of the album. But it's not anything skippable to me.

Smokin' From Shootin' is a classic, regardless of any opinions on the album as a whole. That's the only song I've seen Jim do all three times (MoF, MMJ, and with Ben Sollee & Daniel Martin Moore) and it's a stunning song in any context. One of his very best vocals.

EU came out just as I was getting into MMJ, so I'm sure that's a large reason why I love it more than the long time fans seem to like it.

I can see all those points. I think the slower songs do meander a bit too much without hitting anything huge. But I love the album, maybe because of it's flaws. I love that so many of the experiments delivered, and I love that they experimented in the first place. I'd probably cut off Librarian and Sec Walking maybe. There is a lull in the middle of the album. But it's not anything skippable to me.

Smokin' From Shootin' is a classic, regardless of any opinions on the album as a whole. That's the only song I've seen Jim do all three times (MoF, MMJ, and with Ben Sollee & Daniel Martin Moore) and it's a stunning song in any context. One of his very best vocals.

EU came out just as I was getting into MMJ, so I'm sure that's a large reason why I love it more than the long time fans seem to like it.

I couldn't agree more with this entire post. I think it's a great album and maybe too "fun" for the MMJ purists. I didn't catch on to MMJ till right before Evil Urges so I heard it as them evolving but to an older fan I could see where it might have been disappointing. With exception to "Highly Suspicious" I love or really, really like all the tracks.

That song would be a lot better if it started at the 1:45 mark. As for the big show here presale was yesterday and people starting camping out as early as 5 am at the local record store for cash only tickets at 10. There were probably 75 people in line when the doors opened and they burned through the allotment quickly. The store's owner tried to secure a couple hundred more with no luck. The main onsale is tomorrow and I expect that the GA floor and lower level will go within a few days. The arena will seat 22,000 for basketball games, so I would assume around 17-18k for a sold-out concert. The last MMJ concert in Louisville was over 12,000 two years ago, so we'll see if they can sell out the arena. I hope they do as it will make for a more excitng show. They've come a long way since the days of the old Twice Told Coffeehouse.

• 1 month later...

I picked up the 10" vinyl EP that came out last year for 'Record Store' day. Its a great little package, record at the local record store in Louisville. Has a lovely version of Dondante on there.

Hopefully a new record should see the light of day soon. I believe they will be playing some new material on the last day of the run of the upcoming album-themed shows. 'Evil Urges and Beyond'.

I revisted Evil Urges yesterday and have warmed to it somewhat. A bit of editing and it would be far better. If you cut it down to ten tracks (similar to 'Z') you have a great album.