Has anyone ordered tour posters? How did you find frames?

I ordered a 17x26" poster and want to have it framed. It's an odd size. Has anyone else found a good way to have these framed?

It's never cheap but any of the 1000's of frame stores out there should be able to do it.

I paid big $$ to have mine professionally framed.

However, if you go to a frame store (or a craft store that has framing materials), you should be able to find frame kits that you can mix and match to get the size you want. For example, you could (theoretically) buy a set of 26" segments and a set of 17" segments. The problem then is getting glass cut -- but if you don't care about having special glass, try your local hardware store (hopefully you have a good local one that's run by people who know what they're doing). I have had glass cut for frames very cheaply at the hardware store. It may not be anti-reflective or UV-filtering or whatever, but it's glass.

Another way to go is to buy a larger standard-size frame and some matting material, then cut your own matte. This is easier said than done, but if you measure carefully and read up on the process in advance, you should be able to do it yourself.

Wow, I am so not that ambitious or even capable. I'll pay the extra money every time to have someone else do it. Problem is I always get talked into fancy double matting and things that cost a ton more than I planned. But then again, if you are going to hang it on your wall and see it every day, a little extra money is probably worth it.

I would agree with that, personally ... which is why, more recently, I've paid the money, especially for posters that I plan to display prominently (e.g., the full set of residency posters, which adorn my dining room). But I was poor once, and didn't have the resources to drop $100-200 on a framing job. A friend of mine was similarly poor and also an artist, so I learned a few tricks from him. (He was adept at cutting mattes and dry mounting, which helps.)

No need for expensive framing. It drives me crazy to send $100+ on a piece of artwork that only costs $25. I love that Wilco uses talented artists and designers and quality silkscreening, but they are prints, not original pieces. What I do is wait for coupons from Michaels where they have fairly inexpensive black frames in larger sizes. I buy a piece of mat board, cut it down to the size of frame (x-acto knife), and mount the artwork onto it using spray fixative. It helps to flatten out the artwork. I don't bother making a window mat, although I know how to, I just don't want to spend the time. With a half off coupon for the frame, a few bucks for the mat board, I already have the spray fix and X-acto knives, I can do it for under $30.

Those look really nice. I'll probably do it that way next time I have a poster I want to frame. My most recent framing job (of the poster below...a 19x25, $10 print) cost $200 AFTER my 50% off coupon was applied!

DUNGEN-RADIO.jpg

No need for expensive framing. It drives me crazy to send $100+ on a piece of artwork that only costs $25. I love that Wilco uses talented artists and designers and quality silkscreening, but they are prints, not original pieces. What I do is wait for coupons from Michaels where they have fairly inexpensive black frames in larger sizes. I buy a piece of mat board, cut it down to the size of frame (x-acto knife), and mount the artwork onto it using spray fixative. It helps to flatten out the artwork. I don't bother making a window mat, although I know how to, I just don't want to spend the time. With a half off coupon for the frame, a few bucks for the mat board, I already have the spray fix and X-acto knives, I can do it for under $30.

while i've done this as well, it's just not the same as having it professionally done. not only will a frame shop have a wider selection of materials, but the quality of the frames tends to be much greater than those that you would pick up at any arts/crafts store. also, a frame shop will use a better quality glass that will protect the print beneath.

while i've done this as well, it's just not the same as having it professionally done. not only will a frame shop have a wider selection of materials, but the quality of the frames tends to be much greater than those that you would pick up at any arts/crafts store. also, a frame shop will use a better quality glass that will protect the print beneath.

No doubt, a professional job will be much better looking. I'm just offering up a what works for me between a fine quality frame shop job and hanging it by tacks on the wall. I save my professional framing for original pieces of art or special items. Plus, they're in a bathroom for goodness sake.

Check out pictureframes.com . . . metal sectionals are easy to order (by the inch) and put together, and pretty inexpensive too. Then go to a local glass shop and pick up a pane of glass. Figure about $75 for frame & glass, and 20 minutes to put together with a screwdriver. Nice.