Wilco, 9/10/10, Belfast, UK

Field Music and Felice Brothers opened. (Felice Brothers = AMAZING!) Wilco was on stage around 10pm and played till way past midnight.

Apologies, but I do not have a setlist. They opened with "Ashes" and it was the first time I've heard "Country Disappeared" played live -- lovely.

Songs played included (neither complete nor in order):

Impossible Germany

Shot in the Arm

Via Chicago

Deeper Down

I'll Fight

Bull Black Nova

Passenger Side

Hummingbird

California Stars

The Late Greats

I'm the Man Who Loves You

I am Trying to Break your Heart

Hate it Here

Jesus etc. (sing-along).

I didn't want to be the first to post about this show with the scant information I can provide, but I've been checking all day hoping someone would start a thread, and decided to "be the change I wish to see."

There was a man who came on stage to introduce the bands, and he said the show was being taped and would be on "The Evening Show." It might be a radio program, but I googled it and couldn't find anything listed with that title for Belfast, Ulster or Northern Ireland. (I'd be grateful if anyone with local knowledge can explain.)

Not much banter. After Passenger Side Jeff said "If I sat Passenger Side in this country I would have a steering wheel in front of me." And at one point he said that it had been 15 years since they came to Belfast last.

I've been to Belfast three times for concerts: David Byrne, The Wiggles, and this one. Shows are generally cheaper than in Dublin, and are slower to sell out. It's been peaceful for a while now, but with the bad economy there may be some discontent simmering. Last week a school kid found a pipe bomb on the street and brought into class to show his teacher! It's a beautiful city, and very different in feel from the Republic.

The venue was a marquee (tent), cozy but not very well ventilated. I had to leave after the first encore so we could get back to Dublin before 3am. Toward the back of the marquee there was an older man (60ish) who had collapsed, and there was some commotion. I hope he is okay.

Thanks for the report--I came on specifically to see if someone had started a post, so I'm glad you did. Country Disappeared really is lovely, isn't it? Were there any other songs that stood out to you? And do you remember if they played Sonny Feeling? That seems to have drifted out of the set lists of late, but it's one of my favorites off the latest album to hear live. Oh, and what was the closer?

Sorry for all the questions. Who do I think you are, bbop? :pirate

Sorry for all the questions. Who do I think you are, bbop? :pirate

Er, um...:pirate

Any report is better than no report, so cheers! Definitely agree with you, Chinese Apple, about Belfast and the north. I loved it when I went up there for a few days. Glad the people there got to see a show, even if it sounded like a more "basic" set. Considering the band hadn't been there for so long, a lot of people were probably getting to see them for the first time...:thumbup

I don't know how authoritative this website is, but I found this when I searched for Wilco Belfast setlist. By the way, if anyone here knows that this website is shite (so to speak), feel free to edit or delete my post!

Kind of an interesting website, I thought. Next to each song in the setlist is a link to a youtube video, not of that evening's performance, but some youtube video of that song. I clicked on a few of them and they were in fact the correct songs. Because of the formatting of the list it's hard to copy and paste the setlist, but here goes, warts and all, for those who don't want to follow the link:

1. Ashes Of American Flags Play Video
    2. Bull Black Nova Play Video
    3. You Are My Face Play Video
    4. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart Play Video
    5. One Wing Play Video
    6. A Shot In The Arm Play Video
    7. Country Disappeared Play Video
    8. Impossible Germany Play Video
    9. Why Would You Wanna Live Play Video
    10. I'll Fight Play Video
    11. Passenger Side Play Video
    12. Handshake Drugs Play Video
    13. At Least That's What You Said Play Video
    14. Jesus, Etc. Play Video
    15. I'm Always In Love Play Video
    16. Via Chicago Play Video
    17. You Never Know Play Video
    18. Hate It Here Play Video
    19. Walken Play Video
    20. I'm the Man Who Loves You Play Video
    21. Hummingbird Play Video

• Encore:

1. California Stars Play Video
  2. The Late Greats Play Video
  3. Heavy Metal Drummer Play Video
  4. Red-Eyed And Blue Play Video
  5. I Got You (At the End of the Century) Play Video
  6. I'm A Wheel Play Video

Edit: Actually, this website is pretty cool, though I've discovered at least one inaccuracy: When you click the link next to Why Would You Wanna Live, it takes you to a video of Monday.

So I'm guessing that the way this works is, it's a collaboration between users and website. User submits a setlist, and then someone from the website has a pre-selected database of youtube videos that correspond to each song on the setlist. I have no idea if that's how it works, really--pure speculation. But there are some kinda cool ones on there. For Red-Eyed and Blue, for instance, they've got the Marble Mountain video, which is so much fun to watch.

So, I'd say check it out, even if it's obviously subject to some inaccuracies (unlike bbop, who I guess can't be in all places all the time!)

2nd edit: To further test out this website, I actually uploaded the setlist for the Wilco show in Richmond, VA on 3/29, using Wilcobase, since prior to that there was no setlist loaded for that show. I had to make a few formatting edits but it was pretty simple. And immediately after I uploaded the setlist the links to youtube videos showed up.

The site is linked to last.fm, by the way. And it's pretty cool to look at some of the shows we all know well, like Solid Sound. In some--not all--cases, the links to the youtube videos are actually to the Solid Sound performances themselves. In other cases (like some of the rarities in Jeff's solo set on 8/15), there are no links at all, or in some cases inaccurate links.

Overall, I am finding this site a lot of fun, and yet another big ol' time suck!!

Edited by Wilco Me

Sounds like a pretty damn good night out. Felice Brothers and Field Music are great too. I love Belfast. Been there a few times, on naval ships and by myself, and always had a great time there. Never any hassle and always a good laugh.

hi there

thanks for the setlist and other info. i was at this gig (Belfast native), and i have a terrible memory. i can remember some of the songs, but not all, or the order they were played in. i didn't know some of them since i haven't bought WTA yet - i was waiting for the (i thought) inevitable tour edition of the album, that would have a 2nd cd with more tracks on it. i missed one song in the middle of it (pitstop). my first Wilco gig - was always annoyed about the way they used to arrive in Dublin at the start of a European tour and the next gig would be in Glasgow or Edinburgh usually, Belfast being left out each time. overall, it was a great gig, but i wondered does Mr T always say something good about the place they are playing? i'm referring to his comment about seeing Belfast from the Cavehill earlier in the day and saying "you have a beautiful city". if so, at least it was more subtle than Dave Lee Roth's comment in every gig about "(insert name of town) is the centre of the rock & roll universe"!

it's funny how we all experience things differently. i mean the comments by Chinese Apple about "the venue was a marquee (tent), cozy but not very well ventilated." i thought it was great, not too warm after i took my jacket off, but also as it wasn't packed out, there was room to move around easily enough. and it was also great that it was in a marquee, especially since it was raining as i made my way to the tent from the pub. the bit i really don't understand about people going to that gig is when they paid £32.50 for a ticket, not super cheap, and then stayed outside the tent, sitting at tables! it reminded me of the part in JT's concert dvd where he derides some of the audience for buying a concert ticket and then talking through it.

i would love to get cdr's of this gig. the version of red eyed & blue running into i got you was fantastic. i'm looking into it being taped for the Evening Show. if i get any more info i'll post it.

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup