Nels Cline's lack of involvement with the last album

Is this why so many of the band members have side projects? To fully express their creative abilities?

You make it sound like it is a bad thing. Like they are not completely fulfilled to be in Wilco as a collective.

I think of it like an actor or a director or a screenwriter. Once an actor or director finishes a project they move onto the next one. Likewise an actor may dabble in screenwriting or directing because they can and most likely want to do that. Or to make it even more in line with Wilco, an actor may be on a tv show (9 month commitment or so) and on their hiatus they can make a film during that time period.

There's a lot of reasons to go around the merry go round on this one, but I think they all share that nature of being a part of something and contributing to that and then maybe having a bigger part in something else where they can do what they want to do.

For a more personal example I can think of this for myself: I would love to and I am close to developing & producing my own tv show (on a local scale), but I also want to be involved in both smaller & bigger film projects either in a smaller role like a Production Assistant (or whatever) that way when I want to tackle my own projects as a writer, producer or director (bigger role) I can go through my network (obviously of the smaller films) and see who wants to help me out on it. Edit: And sometimes on some days I feel that the tv idea is more doable because I can find people to fill the air time with as opposed to finding people who would help me out on a film shoot for little to nothing in pay except more experience. So I guess....well there really is no direct comparison that I can make to say that this project of mine sounds like Wilco as opposed to the other project sounding like The Autumn Defense. I would wear big hats to do both projects except for being a PA on some film because they would find anyone to replace me.

Ok. I think I figured this one out. LOL. :stunned I would liken my tv show idea to The Autumn Defense because it derives from a passionate place of wanting to do it and the notion of it being somewhat smaller scale. These film ideas would be more like Wilco because the medium from which it derives is self contained (a film and an album) and there would be more than 1 out there (# of films & # of albums). I also would take on more of a leadership role amongst collaboration to see my idea(s) become reality. You probably would never see me in my films, but somehow my personal touch or name would tip you off. And if I am a PA I most likely would be Leroy Bach. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. (yeah...this is a bit of a stretch. tough to compare films and music.)

Damn you Madden! Off to bed.

Edit Part Deux: Yes, I should clarify that I understand a tv show is also self contained, but I guess in my mind & example it has a shorter shelf life much like a late night talk show. I'm not saying that about the various side projects of Wilco.

You make it sound like it is a bad thing. Like they are not completely fulfilled to be in Wilco as a collective.

I think of it like an actor or a director or a screenwriter. Once an actor or director finishes a project they move onto the next one. Likewise an actor may dabble in screenwriting or directing because they can and most likely want to do that. Or to make it even more in line with Wilco, an actor may be on a tv show (9 month commitment or so) and on their hiatus they can make a film during that time period.

There's a lot of reasons to go around the merry go round on this one, but I think they all share that nature of being a part of something and contributing to that and then maybe having a bigger part in something else where they can do what they want to do.

For a more personal example I can think of this for myself: I would love to and I am close to developing & producing my own tv show (on a local scale), but I also want to be involved in both smaller & bigger film projects either in a smaller role like a Production Assistant (or whatever) that way when I want to tackle my own projects as a writer, producer or director (bigger role) I can go through my network (obviously of the smaller films) and see who wants to help me out on it. Edit: And sometimes on some days I feel that the tv idea is more doable because I can find people to fill the air time with as opposed to finding people who would help me out on a film shoot for little to nothing in pay except more experience. So I guess....well there really is no direct comparison that I can make to say that this project of mine sounds like Wilco as opposed to the other project sounding like The Autumn Defense. I would wear big hats to do both projects except for being a PA on some film because they would find anyone to replace me.

Ok. I think I figured this one out. LOL. :stunned I would liken my tv show idea to The Autumn Defense because it derives from a passionate place of wanting to do it and the notion of it being somewhat smaller scale. These film ideas would be more like Wilco because the medium from which it derives is self contained (a film and an album) and there would be more than 1 out there. I also would take on more of a leadership role amongst collaboration to see my idea(s) become reality. You probably would never see me in my films, but somehow my personal touch or name would tip you off. And if I am a PA I most likely would be Leroy Bach. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. (yeah...this is a bit of a stretch. tough to compare films and music.)

Damn you Madden! Off to bed.

:) Sleep well!

Is this why so many of the band members have side projects? To fully express their creative abilities?

Well, yes (and I agree w/ u2rools that it's not a bad thing either). Also, I imagine being in Wilco gives the various band members the financial footing to have side projects without having to worry about record sales and profit margins. It's why someone like Frank Black can go in the studio every year with top-notch studio musicians and record an album that hardly anyone buys - he's got his financial bases covered w/ Pixies tour money.

As for "Jeff's" label - why can't Wilcoworld have a label that involves the primary creative force and the business guy? Who says Nels wanted to be a part of that? You're implying they've denied him or taken something from him that he never expressed any interest in having.

Nels seems to be doing very well on his own I think.

LouieB

Well, they probably aren't. And it isn't a bad thing. I think it's entirely natural for good musicians to need more than one project to be completely fulfilled...if complete fulfillment is even possible.

I feel like Nels is still in awe of the fact that he gets to do this... At the seminar I went to w/him, he was saying that he finds it crazy that people want to take his pic, etc. I also feel like he's just trying to keep his head down & toe the line so he can keep this awesome gig. However, this is all hearsay & conjecture :)

I feel like Nels is still in awe of the fact that he gets to do this... At the seminar I went to w/him, he was saying that he finds it crazy that people want to take his pic, etc. I also feel like he's just trying to keep his head down & toe the line so he can keep this awesome gig. However, this is all hearsay & conjecture :)

You probably know this, as it's common knowledge, but...

The reason Nels is in the band is because Tweedy was a fan and wanted him specifically for the band. It's not like there was a cattle-call audition and Nels happened to win the gig. An audition winner probably would need to keep his head down and toe the line. But Nels was specifically asked by Tweedy to join, and Tweedy was well aware of what Nels would have to give up (and what Nels' musical associates stood to lose) if he accepted the offer, so I doubt Nels is hanging by a thread.

Having said all that, I'm sure Nels is in awe that he gets to do this. Most people would be in awe to be so successful after spending decades toiling in obscurity, playing money losing tours, working low paying day jobs, etc.

"Billy Martin Nels Cline is the manager guitarist of the Yankees Wilco, and I have complete confidence in him." - George Steinbrenner Jeff Tweedy