Warner Bros. just found 17 minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey

Director and visual effects pioneer Doug Trumbull, in Toronto to screen Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey” (on which Trumbell labored), had a crazy piece of news for those in attendance.

[Trumbull] also informed us that the 17 minutes that Kubrick cut from 2001 shortly after the film's release have been found by Warners in their vault in a salt mine in Kansas. These cut scenes are perfectly preserved in CMY component negatives. Trumbull has no idea of what Warners plans to do with them.

Releasing them on a new “2001” Blu-ray might be a good place to start?

From Wikipedia:

Kubrick filmed several scenes that were deleted from the final film. These include a schoolroom on the moon base—a painting class that included Kubrick's daughters, additional scenes of life on the base, Floyd buying a bush baby from a department store via videophone for his daughter, details about the daily life on Discovery, additional space walks, astronaut Bowman retrieving a spare part from an octagonal corridor, a number of cuts from the Poole murder sequence including the entire space walk preparation and shots of HAL turning off radio contact with Poole—explaining the non sequitur of HAL's response to Bowman's question, and notably a close-up shot of Bowman picking up a slipper during his walk in the alien room—the slipper can still be seen behind him in what was then the next shot. The most notable cut was a 10-minute black-and-white opening sequence featuring interviews with actual scientists, including Freeman Dyson, discussing extraterrestrial life, which Kubrick removed after an early screening for MGM executives. The actual text survives in the book The Making of Kubrick's 2001 by Jerome Agel. If the music intro and outro are included, 29 minutes of film have been excised from the theatrical version.

Director and visual effects pioneer Doug Trumbull, in Toronto to screen Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey” (on which Trumbell labored), had a crazy piece of news for those in attendance.

[Trumbull] also informed us that the 17 minutes that Kubrick cut from 2001 shortly after the film's release have been found by Warners in their vault in a salt mine in Kansas. These cut scenes are perfectly preserved in CMY component negatives. Trumbull has no idea of what Warners plans to do with them.

Releasing them on a new “2001” Blu-ray might be a good place to start?

From Wikipedia:

Kubrick filmed several scenes that were deleted from the final film. These include a schoolroom on the moon base—a painting class that included Kubrick's daughters, additional scenes of life on the base, Floyd buying a bush baby from a department store via videophone for his daughter, details about the daily life on Discovery, additional space walks, astronaut Bowman retrieving a spare part from an octagonal corridor, a number of cuts from the Poole murder sequence including the entire space walk preparation and shots of HAL turning off radio contact with Poole—explaining the non sequitur of HAL's response to Bowman's question, and notably a close-up shot of Bowman picking up a slipper during his walk in the alien room—the slipper can still be seen behind him in what was then the next shot. The most notable cut was a 10-minute black-and-white opening sequence featuring interviews with actual scientists, including Freeman Dyson, discussing extraterrestrial life, which Kubrick removed after an early screening for MGM executives. The actual text survives in the book The Making of Kubrick's 2001 by Jerome Agel. If the music intro and outro are included, 29 minutes of film have been excised from the theatrical version.

THIS is Extra Special WTF cool

I'm hoping that they somehow make a new cut of the film. I'm sick of seeing cut footage taken out of context.

Remember when they used to make DVDs branching? You could watch the theatrical cut or choose to watch an extended cut on your dvd.

Anyways, I think it should be released as a new cut for the sole purpose of educating folks in the essence of pacing and editing. The Kubrick Estate may put up a fight for this reason, since they probably don't want to tarnish Kubrick's masterpiece.

Somewhat off topic: I remember looking on youtube for cut clips from Superman IV that were beyond horrendous. I remember owning a movie adaptation for that film as a kid and seeing pictures of Nuclear Man I that was not in the actual film. Some 20 years later I know exactly why they cut that out. The character was so horrible and embarrassing, you wondered why they were butchering the Superman franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WjC7w9zWuE (I just had to put this up here for folks to experience)

Edit: The Thin Red Line Criterion comes to mind in terms of seeing cut footage taken out of context. I have 0 idea when these scenes happen in the film except for the George Clooney/Ben Chaplin conversation. I can understand why a director would not go back and reedit them into the film. They were taken out for a reason, I guess. In Malick's case it's a bit tougher because he apparently did over a dozen different cuts of that film. I'm still waiting on seeing the 6 hour cut.

the cool thing about that clip is that it is edited work-print film, not cut negative. the work print is marked with grease pencil for the negative cutter. before each edit there is a ramping mark that indicates an edit is coming. in one spot there is a pencil mark in the middle of a shot. that indicates an "unintentional edit." could be that the shot was extended after it has been initially cut or that it was a mistake. the mark (which is an = made across the edit) indicates to the negative cutter not to cut the negative at that frame.

---*the more you know :monkey

the cool thing about that clip is that it is edited work-print film, not cut negative. the work print is marked with grease pencil for the negative cutter. before each edit there is a ramping mark that indicates an edit is coming. in one spot there is a pencil mark in the middle of a shot. that indicates an "unintentional edit." could be that the shot was extended after it has been initially cut or that it was a mistake. the mark (which is an = made across the edit) indicates to the negative cutter not to cut the negative at that frame.

---*the more you know :monkey

The movie nerd in me is swooning :wub

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping that they somehow make a new cut of the film. I'm sick of seeing cut footage taken out of context.

Remember when they used to make DVDs branching? You could watch the theatrical cut or choose to watch an extended cut on your dvd.

Anyways, I think it should be released as a new cut for the sole purpose of educating folks in the essence of pacing and editing. The Kubrick Estate may put up a fight for this reason, since they probably don't want to tarnish Kubrick's masterpiece.

Somewhat off topic: I remember looking on youtube for cut clips from Superman IV that were beyond horrendous. I remember owning a movie adaptation for that film as a kid and seeing pictures of Nuclear Man I that was not in the actual film. Some 20 years later I know exactly why they cut that out. The character was so horrible and embarrassing, you wondered why they were butchering the Superman franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WjC7w9zWuE (I just had to put this up here for folks to experience)

Edit: The Thin Red Line Criterion comes to mind in terms of seeing cut footage taken out of context. I have 0 idea when these scenes happen in the film except for the George Clooney/Ben Chaplin conversation. I can understand why a director would not go back and reedit them into the film. They were taken out for a reason, I guess. In Malick's case it's a bit tougher because he apparently did over a dozen different cuts of that film. I'm still waiting on seeing the 6 hour cut.

Superman IV was my fav. movie as a little kid. I remember reading the comic adaptation of the film as well in which Nuclear Man I was included. I would daydream about seeing the actual footage. Now, not so much, haha.