itunes looking to offer 24bit files

CNN reports that Apple is in talks with record labels to increase the quality of music sold through the iTunes Store, boosting the music from a 16-bit format to a 24-bit format.

Mac rumors link

This is a step in the right direction I think

I heard it here

Gearslutz

i would download music if it was lossless and half the price it is now AND if it came with an album sleeve or some art. i just can't get on board with digital music at all. tried and it was miserable. tough thing is now if i want something, sometimes it's only available digitally.

i would download music if it was lossless and half the price it is now AND if it came with an album sleeve or some art. i just can't get on board with digital music at all. tried and it was miserable. tough thing is now if i want something, sometimes it's only available digitally.

agreed, every time i "resort" to using itunes through scarce availability or "digital exclusivity," it's always temporary if i can help it...meaning, i'll always spring for a physical copy if and when i find one.

I hear you on this one.

Yeah I doubt this would be half the price. HA, more likley to be sold as a 'premium option' inspite of the fact that its no more difficult or expensive than mp3, aac, whatever.

Just curious, What is miserable about the experience for you? What don't you like? The sound or...smell :lol . I like being able to hear about a band then download a track it within moments. Then if I love it i'll buy the vynll and crank that shit real loud. :rock

For some listeners, the compression that has to take place to make a music file degrades the quality to such an extent that the music becomes barely (or un) listenable. I am not one of those people.

I think this is just a marketing ploy to get people to spend more money an digital music. Yeah there's a difference in sound quality but unless you are professionally trained sound engineer, your not going to notice a big difference.

For some listeners, the compression that has to take place to make a music file degrades the quality to such an extent that the music becomes barely (or un) listenable. I am not one of those people.

I think this is just a marketing ploy to get people to spend more money an digital music. Yeah there's a difference in sound quality but unless you are professionally trained sound engineer, your not going to notice a big difference.

I am in agreement with both of these statements.

Hmm. I've been rather lucky I guess. Nearly every iTunes purchase that I made came with album art and even some e-booklets that you can print. I don't think that happens with older titles, but even uploading older cds you can easily get artwork for it when you do a search. Edit: Of course, this doesn't work with certain imports and bootlegs.

From the point of view of itunes, sure its a marketing ploy. But from the point of view of simple logicalityness its totaly sensical. Songs are either mixed to 16bit or 24bit digitaly then mastered. Theres really no need do anything to it after that. The worry is they just tack eight empty bits on to the word length of a sixteen bit file.

Has anybody actually compared an mp3 to a 24bit file? Overall its a more imerseve experience. The lowandhigh frequencies suffer the most with mp3s so cymbals and bass guitars become mockeries of their former selves. I also think the headphones that come with apple ipods these days are more than capeable of translating this difference.

Yeah I doubt this would be half the price. HA, more likley to be sold as a 'premium option' inspite of the fact that its no more difficult or expensive than mp3, aac, whatever.

Just curious, What is miserable about the experience for you? What don't you like? The sound or...smell :lol . I like being able to hear about a band then download a track it within moments. Then if I love it i'll buy the vynll and crank that shit real loud. :rock

it's really just my neurosis and obsessiveness about music. i just prefer to look at the artwork and liner notes while i listen. at the same time, i tend to actually LISTEN when its CDs where as I just get overwhelmed with an entire cd collection in a little ipod. i've tried and tried and i just can't do it. i'm also an album person. i like to hear stuff in that context. for some reason i see that lost with ipods.

Hmm. I've been rather lucky I guess. Nearly every iTunes purchase that I made came with album art and even some e-booklets that you can print. I don't think that happens with older titles, but even uploading older cds you can easily get artwork for it when you do a search. Edit: Of course, this doesn't work with certain imports and bootlegs.

i don't mean digital/virtual art.