New Raphael Saadiq!

61Jg2NFxkhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've sung the praises of Saadiq's last record, The Way I See It around here for a while now. It was one of the best albums of the last decade, a slab of classic soul/rnb with, with just a cleaner production to give away its release date. (And one misstep -- an ill-advised guest shot from Jay-Z.) Still, a beast of a record, so I am really excited for this one!

From Amazon:

Grammy Award winning singer, songwriter and record producer Raphael Saadiq is back with his fifth studio album Stone Rollin . Featuring ten new tracks, Stone Rollin is the follow up to Saadiq s 2008 solo album The Way I See It, which boasted four Billboard R&B chart singles and was nominated for three GRAMMY Awards including Best R&B Album. With Stone Rollin , Saadiq nods to his heroes like Chuck Berry, Stevie Wonder, Little Walter and Sly Stone, while merging his own contemporary twist, one born out of a combination of his recent touring experiences, as well as inspiration derived from indie acts that hold regular rotation in his ipod. The end result is a collection that showcases Saadiq s gifted musicality and the stellar production skills that have become the artist s signature.

Recorded at his studio complex the Blakeslee Recording Company in Los Angeles, Raphael Saadiq played bass, mellotron, keys, guitar, percussion and even drums on most of the tracks. Opening with the stomping Heart Attack, the album s other standout cuts include the stunning Go To Hell, featuring his studio squad of musicians who are melodically complimented by an angelic choir, the evocative Dixieland number Day Dreams, featuring Robert Randolph who plays steel guitar on the track, and Just Don t, which includes a guest appearance from one of Saadiq s indie rock favorites Swedish-Japanese singer Yukimi Nagano (Little Dragon). Also making an appearance on that same song is one of Saadiq s idols Larry Dunn (Earth, Wind and Fire), who plays piano and contributes an epic Moog solo.

Want it.

Pre-ordering.

Check out this video of Raphael playing acoustic at the NPR studios as part of their "Tiny Desk" series:

SAADIQ on NPR

Damn!

Check out this video of Raphael playing acoustic at the NPR studios as part of their "Tiny Desk" series:

SAADIQ on NPR

Damn!

Whatever Raphael is paying that guitar player, it's not enough. :lol

Stooka.....Something tells me I'll see you there! :beer

I love the "classic blues player" look. Thanks for the link!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

June 3 in Chicago.

I am dying to go, and hope that I get a chance to.

Just bought my tickets for Chicago.

YES!!!

raphael was on jimmy kimmel live last night. good stuff.

I don't stay up that late, so I'll try to catch it on YouTube or the Kimmel web site, if I can.

I don't stay up that late, so I'll try to catch it on YouTube or the Kimmel web site, if I can.

me either! i just watched it on youtube this morning

sidenote: if you've never seen kimmel's 'this week in unnecessary censorship', watch one. hysterical. he's the best late night talk show host.

Just arrived and NP:

51gxT8BhUaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And... GodDAMN!!!!!