Candy Golde @ SXSW (Show 1)

This was surreal. I witnessed a packed and amazing set by Telekinesis at The large, but hot, The Parish club on 6th Street, then headed over to Club Deville on Red River. The stage was set-up outside under a large tent. Milling about in the crowd was Jody Stephens of Big Star. I introduced myself and told him when I saw him I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to tell him how much I loved Big Star. He said he himself was walking over to do the very same thing to Bun E. Carlos.

Bun E. Carlos can still rock those drums and twirl those sticks. He's very skinny and stopped smoking and wasn't wearing his trademark tie either.

bune%20mar19-thumb-560x420.jpg

The Candy Gold set was 40 minutes long and included a cover of "Hey Joe" and "Boy In the Bubble" (which is set to appear on the EP). John sang a cover of a Who song and my foggy mind forgets which one, as it was obscure "Armenia City in The Sky". The originals sounded great. They had keyboardist Mark Greenberg in addition to the core four guys. I stood at the front between John and Rick Rizzo and they both seemed excited to be playing as they were smiling and jumping around.

candy%20golde%20mar19-thumb-560x420.jpg

The crowd seemed to enjoy the show and the place started filling up near the end of the set as P.S. I Love You were set to play at Midnight.

The musical highlight for me was, of course, the catchy "Troubles Coming Down" which was played mid set. Sounds as good live as it does on record.

They played a second show at Alejandro's Continental Club last night, but I was already back home in Chicago, asleep, by the time they had likely hit the stage. If anyone made that second show, please report.

Just bought tickets to the April 29 Double Door record release show.

More articles:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2011/03/sxsw_with_lom_gourds_kill_gran.php?page=2

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2011/03/sxsw_bun_e_carlos_chills_at_cl.php

http://nyccultureblog.journalism.cuny.edu/2011/03/16/candy-golde-newest-band-within-a-band-to-strike-a-powerful-rock-chord/

This was surreal. I witnessed a packed and amazing set by Telekinesis at The large, but hot, The Parish club on 6th Street, then headed over to Club Deville on Red River. The stage was set-up outside under a large tent. Milling about in the crowd was Jody Stephens of Big Star. I introduced myself and told him when I saw him I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to tell him how much I loved Big Star. He said he himself was walking over to do the very same thing to Bun E. Carlos.

Bun E. Carlos can still rock those drums and twirl those sticks. He's very skinny and stopped smoking and wasn't wearing his trademark tie either.

bune%20mar19-thumb-560x420.jpg

The Candy Gold set was 40 minutes long and included a cover of "Hey Joe" and "Boy In the Bubble" (which is set to appear on the EP). John sang a cover of a Who song and my foggy mind forgets which one, as it was obscure. The originals sounded great. They had keyboardist Mark Greenberg in addition to the core four guys. I stood at the front between John and Rick Rizzo and they both seemed excited to be playing as they were smiling and jumping around.

Thanks for the report, Señor ckc! Glad you got to make it to this set, and hope you're recovering from the week. Cool that you got to say hello to Jody as well. He's a very nice man. When I first had a chance to go say hello to him, I was too sheepish. Luckily I got to rectify that at a later date.

It'd be interesting to know what Who song John sang. I'm also sort of curious about the cover of "Boy In The Bubble." I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it to the gig at Double Door, but I'll definitely pick up the EP at some point. :thumbup

Thanks for the report, Señor ckc! Glad you got to make it to this set, and hope you're recovering from the week. Cool that you got to say hello to Jody as well. He's a very nice man. When I first had a chance to go say hello to him, I was too sheepish. Luckily I got to rectify that at a later date.

It'd be interesting to know what Who song John sang. I'm also sort of curious about the cover of "Boy In The Bubble." I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it to the gig at Double Door, but I'll definitely pick up the EP at some point. :thumbup

Even though I knew they covered "Boy in the Bubble" on the EP and I heard them yell, "let's do Bubble" on stage, I was still caught off guard by the cover. It didn't sound anything like Paul Simon and it wasn't until I actually listened to the lyrics they were singing, that I realized what it was. Very cool version, just very unique.