Was just making dinner and put on Radiohead "The Bends," and was hit with this very visceral memory of how I used to feel when I listened to that-- driving down canopied roads in the dark, with the top down of my little white convertible. The stars pressed down and the music made it feel like the car could literally lift up off the road into the sky above the trees. Something about the combination of the songs on that record (especially Black Stars and the last track, Fade Out), the night sky, and the air rushing over me made it feel like flying.

Anyone care to share a similar experience, maybe with different circumstances, where music literally transported you? Post here.

I remember the first time I listened to the Bends in full. I believe it was maybe the second time ever a cd hit me like a ton of bricks. Everything made sense musically and every note was perfect. I get chills most of the time when I listen to the cd now 16 years later and remember starting to discover and appreciate music! I always said the Bends is the one cd you also need to hear with a good pair of headphones. I discovered subtle guitar and bass parts I couldn't hear on the cd...

I think there's a lot of people out there who were floored by The Bends - I was 16 and it was easily the best piece of "new" music I had ever heard. Still holds up great today.

On topic, really tripping out to music (when you're sober) rarely happens but when it does it's something else for sure. Driving alone in the countryside at dusk is the best way to achieve this in my experience. This board may not be into it so much but electronic artists like M83 and Ulrich Schnauss are awesome for this.

i had many a lovely time with the bends. actually i once got into an argument with another radiohead fan b/c i was lamenting the fact that the bends was the "bend in the road" for them ( a turning point, sonically, before ok), and that there are no more albums like the bends. i'll admit, ok computer was pretty damn special too, so w/o the bends, who knows.

again, on topic, i jammed to the bends while commuting and it transported me several times outta the crap day i was having, and before i knew it, my 45 min drive was over...and, sadly, my listening experience was too.