Music in a foreign language? You listen to much?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked this up from the local library:

e53740g6mum.jpg

Moreno Veloso - Music Typewriter

Will report back soon.

The most criminally underhyped band from Brazil is Los Hermanos. They started as just a goofy alt-rock band with Portuguese lyrics and evolved into the sweetest indie rock-meets-samba band ever. Check our their last two Ventura and Cuatro, if you like that kind of thing.

The most criminally underhyped band from Brazil is Los Hermanos. They started as just a goofy alt-rock band with Portuguese lyrics and evolved into the sweetest indie rock-meets-samba band ever. Check our their last two Ventura and Cuatro, if you like that kind of thing.

It's only a couple of songs I've heard from those Brazilians, so far I like them. Seems like the album to get is Bloco do Eu Sozinho although since this is a Brazilian import it's prohibitely expensive in North America and Europe, my best chance is hoping that maybe I'm going to Brazil soon and picking up a copy down there. Unfortunately the local iTunes doesn't carry them either. I'll eventually get my hands onto that Sozinho anyway. Last year I discovered a Brazilian band by the name of Pato Fu and through the Internet I managed to get some albums, DVDs, albeit ridiculously expensive, like 40 for an unplugged DVD. Oddly enough I was in Brazil in 2001, the year Sozinho came out, and I overlooked Los Hermanos...

It's only a couple of songs I've heard from those Brazilians, so far I like them. Seems like the album to get is Bloco do Eu Sozinho although since this is a Brazilian import it's prohibitely expensive in North America and Europe, my best chance is hoping that maybe I'm going to Brazil soon and picking up a copy down there. Unfortunately the local iTunes doesn't carry them either. I'll eventually get my hands onto that Sozinho anyway. Last year I discovered a Brazilian band by the name of Pato Fu and through the Internet I managed to get some albums, DVDs, albeit ridiculously expensive, like 40 for an unplugged DVD. Oddly enough I was in Brazil in 2001, the year Sozinho came out, and I overlooked Los Hermanos...

Bloco do Eu Zozinho, is just ok. You can get Ventura off of Itunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYJ36wSoGs&feature=related

• 4 months later...

This movie features a lot of Icelandic country music.

I'm not into any the the music they export (Bjork, Sigur Ros) but ever since I heard these local bands in this film I have taken an interest in their country music.

41AP8M8FAXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This movie features a lot of Icelandic country music.

I'm not into any the the music they export (Bjork, Sigur Ros) but ever since I heard these local bands in this film I have taken an interest in their country music.

41AP8M8FAXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Good film. I was in Iceland last summer, there's a guy there that runs a country bar and has a radio station that only plays country. We could only get the station while in the northern part of the country unfortunately, it was great listening while it lasted nonetheless: http://kantry.is/CountryRadio.htm

• 5 months later...

Ozomatli, especially off of their first album from 1998 called Ozomatli

One of the best bands to come out of LA... members really mirror the city... mexican, el salvadoran, japanese, african american... with a sound that combines salsa, rap, funk, reggae, you name it. many songs in spanish.