Looking for Vintage Guitars

I've been really obsessed with trying to find a good Vintage harmony for the past few weeks, specifically an H59-1 rocket or an H82 Rebel. Not sure why i had this sudden love, but i do. Any recommendations on where to look? I've checked ebay and craigslist but theres not much to be offered in terms of choice, especially in the Rebel department. Living in NYC, im going to basically just tour around local guitar shops to see if any have one. Anyone have other suggestions on where to look? Are there websites for lesser known vintage guitars like these?

I used to have a Harmony-build Silvertone, that I sold back in 1997 or so.

It was a super-cool looking guitar. But, honestly, it was a piece of crap and played like one. The only positive to the thing (beside the excellent looks and blue metallic flake paint job) were the DeArmond pickups.

So yeah, mine was exactly like this one, but with that aforementioned blue metallic flake finish:

silvertone_jag_6-2006.jpg

Piece of shit.

Ive always got old sears geetars flyn past my eyes. Im really gonna try to stick around more often and come back home!

Yeah, I struggle with some of these old guitars. Teisco Del Reys and harmonies and things. They can be so hard to keep in tune and even when they are, the intonation is so bad it still sounds out of tune. With some work you can get them working fine but I'm lazy and I don't want to be a guitar tech just to play music. And yet I'm always looking on Ebay for deals on them.

Yeah, I struggle with some of these old guitars. Teisco Del Reys and harmonies and things. They can be so hard to keep in tune and even when they are, the intonation is so bad it still sounds out of tune. With some work you can get them working fine but I'm lazy and I don't want to be a guitar tech just to play music. And yet I'm always looking on Ebay for deals on them.

Well I am a Tech and keeping some of these guys playing is a hobby so always keep that in mind. If its a solid body with good neck I say buy! intonate and setup and ur good...fret work is every guitar,ive done more fret work on my al lee music man than most of my random vintage gear...i dont hold onto guitars like i use to. For one ya dont get attached and two you always got a new toy....geetars are fun,have fun,and if ya dont like it than flip it to some other guys who will :cheers

Well I am a Tech and keeping some of these guys playing is a hobby so always keep that in mind. If its a solid body with good neck I say buy! intonate and setup and ur good...fret work is every guitar,ive done more fret work on my al lee music man than most of my random vintage gear...i dont hold onto guitars like i use to. For one ya dont get attached and two you always got a new toy....geetars are fun,have fun,and if ya dont like it than flip it to some other guys who will :cheers

Speaking of flipping guitars to other guys, what is the best way to sell a guitar? I have never actually tried to sell one as I tend to get attached to them. But for me guitars are for playing and I have really negleged these 2 (Vaccaro Generator X and a G & L Rampage). Actually I have not decided if I can part with the rampage. I supposed Craigs list is the way to go but I prefer not to have strangers coming over and wheeling and dealing. I don't mind making a bit less if it saves me a hassle. Pawn shop? Consignment at a guitar store? E-bay?

Speaking of flipping guitars to other guys, what is the best way to sell a guitar? I have never actually tried to sell one as I tend to get attached to them. But for me guitars are for playing and I have really negleged these 2 (Vaccaro Generator X and a G & L Rampage). Actually I have not decided if I can part with the rampage. I supposed Craigs list is the way to go but I prefer not to have strangers coming over and wheeling and dealing. I don't mind making a bit less if it saves me a hassle. Pawn shop? Consignment at a guitar store? E-bay?

I've sold a guitar and a drumset on Craigslist. Guitars are easier since you can meet somewhere neutral. I sold a Strat to a guy who, after a little back and forth on the phone and email, met up with me on the street in downtown Atlanta. I handed him the gig bag and he handed me a wad of cash. He didn't even look in the bag. I was kind of surprised the cops standing nearby didn't seem to think that was suspicious.

The drums required the buyer to come to my house. That turned out to be a pleasant transaction, too.

It's just a matter of feeling comfortable that you're not dealing with a scumbag.

I currently have two things (not music stuff) on Craigslist, and the only bites I've gotten on them are highly suspicious. One of the responses just said "is this item for sale?" WTF? :punch

If you list an instrument on Craigslist, you'll probably get a lot of responses. Some of them will be extreme low-ballers, but you have a very good chance of making a sale at a fair price to a trustworthy person.

Dont sell Pawn...Buy Pawn and estate and garage sales. I take it your not gonna make atleast a hobby flippin guitars right..just the random dont play,want a new toy or cash? If so I would do Craigslist....its not that bad and ive had guys fly from Cali to STL just to play my geetar. I guess with my shop at home im use to strangers...talk for atleast a half hour to feel it out. You will know if you even wanna ever even see this person..really! Consingment is awesome for me just cause ive hung around or worked at some decent shops over the past few years...a good relationship always goes a long way! This is a dickish move but not too bad...do all of them at the same time and take the highest bidder even if you sell it in the parking lot of the store ya have it consinged at....but dont expect to return back to that store or have a friend left at that store. When it comes down to selling personal items...i mean really personal items i say waite and sell it to a friend or a friend of a friend that atleast promises to call you when and if he or she sells it.

Im working on an online boutique...new and used,small luthiers and vintage and restored instruments. I think it will take me the summer to finish the site and the financing...product..bank loans ect. But the idea is to keep small things for sale such as wiring harnesses,strings,custom inlay..ect,but get a bunch of small time luthiers and unite and share space,but virtual space and also doing consingments and such with taking a small fee to keep the site up and paid for my time and contacts...alot of great luthiers can build but cant sell a guitar to save their life! Im calling it Definace Guitars...my own guitar models and restore projects as well. I own all the domain names and have hosting set but still need a few small...well major things to make it work. my email is info@defianceguitars.com and the site is www.defianceguitars.com will be up asap. email me with any info or questions and if ya just need a friend to talk to and ill give ya my cell number..all knowledge is good,and the more contacts you have make this kinda stuff really easy. Never be afraid to call or email the big dogs either,most folks in the industry are just like you and I! Take care and good luck!