New High Res Audio from Warner

yeah, i'm not sure what this is. does it have something to do with that CODEC? stuff neil young and john mellencamp brought up a few years ago? anyway, how many times can stuff be released and how much difference can we really hear?

well, the 96/24 stuff is really sweet and I would love to see this happen, but one record company that has been hit in the teeth repeatably for a decade is not gonna pull it off.

If you can - try some of the 96/24 or higher files through a good DAC and good stereo. It makes all the difference. Itunes actually won't let me move higher res files onto the Ipod. I guess the Ipod DAC can't handle it.

sorry - don't know what Codec is. It might be we're talking about the same thing. I dunno.

Most pro studios these days record at 96/24, even people like me with small home studios pretty much use that setting. It's about time more companies get around to releasing stuff at this rate instead of compressing down to 44.1/16. I've seen a few artists releasing internet records giving the 96/24 option, or an 88.2/24 option. I've also seen a lot of people on bit-torrent sites--for a few years now--uploading vinyl to digital transfers in 96/24. So as usual the record companies are behind the public.

Most pro studios these days record at 96/24, even people like me with small home studios pretty much use that setting. It's about time more companies get around to releasing stuff at this rate instead of compressing down to 44.1/16. I've seen a few artists releasing internet records giving the 96/24 option, or an 88.2/24 option. I've also seen a lot of people on bit-torrent sites--for a few years now--uploading vinyl to digital transfers in 96/24. So as usual the record companies are behind the public.

yeah, i've sampled some vinyl rips. not too bad. the rest of the numbers y'all are talking about, i have no idea.

info on code format.

http://www.gearwire.com/code-format-jcmellencamp.html

my feeling is that if the tune is good, then i don't care what the format is. i'd listen to neil young (and have) on a shitty 3rd generation cassette if i had too and still enjoy it. in fact, i still listen to a tape of a tape of vinyl of On The Beach and Reactor that i got way before they came out on CD.

I don't think the format is as important as it once was. With no digital rights management, converting from one to another can be done. It's really the sampling rate that's key with the high res formats supported in all/most of them.

Of course Apple's format is proprietary and Itunes does not play FLACs, at least not easily, but you can just run another player.

I don't think the format is as important as it once was. With no digital rights management, converting from one to another can be done. It's really the sampling rate that's key with the high res formats supported in all/most of them.

Of course Apple's format is proprietary and Itunes does not play FLACs, at least not easily, but you can just run another player.

sampling rate?

sampling rate?

Yeah - it's like integration in Calculus. The thiner the slices of digital sample, the greater it approximates a curve. Of course there is more to it than that - the wiki on 96/24 should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_%28sound_system%29

The best and most used accessory on my stereo right now is the DAC. I love it and have it TOS linked to an Airport express. It is friggin wonderful and depending on the files, deliverers better sounds than the SACD player.

sorry for the acronyms. I can explain them if you want.

Yeah - it's like integration in Calculus. The thiner the slices of digital sample, the greater it approximates a curve. Of course there is more to it than that - the wiki on 96/24 should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_%28sound_system%29

The best and most used accessory on my stereo right now is the DAC. I love it and have it TOS linked to an Airport express. It is friggin wonderful and depending on the files, deliverers better sounds than the SACD player.

sorry for the acronyms. I can explain them if you want.

thanks for the info. i would like to know what DAC is...