Art of Almost

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, I have been really holding back in saying anything on this site about the new album. I have come to realize that my initial impressions about Wilco aren't always lasting ones. That's one of the main reasons I really like Wilco. They are an accquired taste that cannot immediately be absorbed and judged in one listening. However, their music usually stays with you for several years and becomes more appreciated over time.

All that being said, the Art Of Almost sounds like an '80's Genesis song to me and I don't mean that in a good way. It was jaw dropping to hear this song compared to IATTBYH. I think Nels has been unfairly criticized on this board, but I believe this song is a good example of him literally saving the song at it's closing.

Sorry to be negative, I really like other songs on this album, but this is not one of them.

Wholeheartedly disagree, but a fellow Wilcoite made the same comment. Said that if I heard this on Three Sides Live, I would have hated it, but because it is Wilco I loved it. Can't change my opinion that I love it, but rest assured there are a lot of people who look at this the exact same way, Got your comment posted in 3 emails agreing with you, so clearly you have a point. Good ear, I guess, but I still love it for what it is.

OK but the drumming is ridiculously good.

This is a Kotche, Stirrat, Cline, extravaganza.