Wilco 10/04/11 Peabody Opera House

Wilco makes the best noise around.

agreed. saw the fleet foxes last night who tried their hand at "noise" to close out their encore of helplessness blues. my remark to my wife as we filed out of the venue: "that encore made me wanna be at a wilco show." point being that they DO make the best noise around.

i went to both ryman nights, and took some friends who only knew of wilco, but weren't fans. i had some extra singles so i offered them to them for free. i was a little apprehensive when they opened with LTYT (i was also completely floored!!) b/c i was thinking my friends would be turned off by the feedback. when we left the venue, i asked them what they thought, and remarked that i had never seen them play that particular song, LTYT, live, much less open with it. she replied with, "at first, i felt like i really need to be on drugs to be appreciating this, but they pulled it off nicely."

that being said, having seen them about 20 times since 2006, does it seem like they are toning down their noise/feedback sessions, particularly on this tour? i could be crazy, but it seemed to me that they were a bit shortened this time round.

i, myself, love the noise/feedback. they do a great job of bringing in order from the dissonance. think via chicago or the segue from poor places, etc.

Guest Jesus Etc

Feedback = filler = boring. And it was way more than 5 minutes. I would say it averaged a good 30 seconds to 1:30 minute per song . . . and over 20-25 songs, it adds up. From where I was standing - row W, when the lights shined out over the crowd during these moments -- almost everyone looked bored. No wonder the arguments of standing vs. sitting. I found myself wanting to sit many times, but had no choice. I'd grade the show last night a solid B, with Nick Lowe saving it from sliding to a C, but thats just like, my opinion, man ' )

Paul - I have to admit that I find your post laughable. The feedback is essential to Wilco's sound. I would venture to guess MOST Wilco fans do not find it boring. You, on the other hand, sound remarkably boring to me.

Not true. Big Wilco fan, not rabid, but I almost always have one of these in heavy rotation: Summerteeth, Being There, Yankee, AM, Sky Blue Sky, Anodyne, Mermaid Ave I and II, and of course the Whole Love which I am really enjoying. Love those. I don't have all their stuff, I'll admit, and a couple songs last night were not familiar to me. Only been to 1 other Wilco show previously and was blown away.

Feedback and noise piled upon noise has its merits. But a little of it goes a long way. And if I want to listen to the original article, its probably going to be Neil Young w/ Crazy Horse or Led Zep, or Pink Floyd. I value and admire Wilco more for their songs, their clever melodies and sounds they can create . . . not for their "wall of dissonance". They're smarter than that, and they don't need to reach for it so often.

Guest Jesus Etc

Not true. Big Wilco fan, not rabid, but I almost always have one of these in heavy rotation: Summerteeth, Being There, Yankee, AM, Sky Blue Sky, Anodyne, Mermaid Ave I and II, and of course the Whole Love which I am really enjoying. Love those. I don't have all their stuff, I'll admit, and a couple songs last night were not familiar to me. Only been to 1 other Wilco show previously and was blown away.

Feedback and noise piled upon noise has its merits. But a little of it goes a long way. And if I want to listen to the original article, its probably going to be Neil Young w/ Crazy Horse or Led Zep, or Pink Floyd. I value and admire Wilco more for their songs, their clever melodies and sounds they can create . . . not for their "wall of dissonance". They're smarter than that, and they don't need to reach for it so often.

I have been to 12 Wilco shows and I honestly can't remember one when they didn't have a lot of feedback.

So you own six out their eight studio records (not counting Mermaid Avenue as straight-up WILCO albums; Anodyne is Uncle Tupelo) including the ones that hinted at the noise and the one that really introduced the noise into their songs -- yet you're still surprised?

Only surprised by how this show seemed to carry on with the noise longer than what I'm used to on the albums. I don't recall it happening to this extent at the other show at the Pageant 2 yrs ago . The "noise" works on songs like via Chicago because it is brief and adds a dynamic. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't care for being partially deaf for a day or two after concerts anymore.

OK, let’s try to get this thread back on track…

My wife and I were in the front row and very excited for the show. We were one of the 6 standing from the beginning. At first I was afraid that we would be asked to sit down but thankfully that never happened. The sound was very good although I would have to say the energy was very low for a while. The front row in front of John and Pat sat all the way thru AOA. The energy did pick up around Impossible Germany. Once again Jeff was all smiles while watching Nels during IG. It seems as if he is always surprised at what Nels will deliver on this song night to night.

Once again the bass was strong in the mix and I really enjoyed John's thumping!

Highlights for me were: New Madrid and Shouldn’t be Ashamed. The drive from Indy was worth New Madrid alone. We were right in front of Nels and it was incredible to watch him that close. We also enjoyed watching Glen tare up Via Chicago and add so many nuances all night.

Nick Lowe joining Wilco for 36” and I Love My Label was great! I do need to correct my self from the Nashville night 2 thread - Wilco w/ Nick Lowe = Wicklowe. Jeff seems completely captivated to be playing with Nick each night.

Can’t wait to see the band again in December!

My wife and I were in the front row and very excited for the show. We were one of the 6 standing from the beginning. At first I was afraid that we would be asked to sit down but thankfully that never happened.

My friend and I were front and center, and I'm very thankful that you guys were also standing. I was just waiting for someone to get mad/loud during One Sunday Morning. It's a good choice for an opener, but it's tough to get people to stand for it. Thank you for adding strength to our numbers :thumbup

Long time WIlco fan, first time poster. I have much to say about this show, but I have to get ready for work, so I'll simply start by saying that I enjoyed it immensely and tell how lucky I was to get tickets for my husband and I. I work nights, but I stayed up the day of the ticket sales desperately clicking Ticketmaster and hoping against all hope that I would eventually get tickets. When they announced the sell out on Facebook, I was devastated. I tried to go to sleep, but found myself too angry/sad to do so. So I kept getting up and attempting to buy tickets. An hour after the announcement, I somehow scored two tickets. RC, row T, seats 1 and 2. I don't know how it worked, but it did! That night, at work, I wrote myself a note and stuck it to my clipboard to get through the night. "Remember: Wilco tickets were worth it!" and they were! I was thrilled with the show and it's been on my mind almost constantly since then. I can't wait for the recording to show up. Much love to the tapers that make it happen!

Long time WIlco fan, first time poster. I have much to say about this show, but I have to get ready for work, so I'll simply start by saying that I enjoyed it immensely and tell how lucky I was to get tickets for my husband and I. I work nights, but I stayed up the day of the ticket sales desperately clicking Ticketmaster and hoping against all hope that I would eventually get tickets. When they announced the sell out on Facebook, I was devastated. I tried to go to sleep, but found myself too angry/sad to do so. So I kept getting up and attempting to buy tickets. An hour after the announcement, I somehow scored two tickets. RC, row T, seats 1 and 2. I don't know how it worked, but it did! That night, at work, I wrote myself a note and stuck it to my clipboard to get through the night. "Remember: Wilco tickets were worth it!" and they were! I was thrilled with the show and it's been on my mind almost constantly since then. I can't wait for the recording to show up. Much love to the tapers that make it happen!

Aw, your post makes me happy just to read it. It is so worth a night of lost sleep to get in to see Wilco. It's worth a lot more than that, actually--I'm finally on the road to recovery from a whirlwind week of east coast shows. I lost a lot of sleep, a lot of sheckels (did I really need those cowboy boots in Nashville?), and some may say I'd already lost a few marbles, but it's a week later and I'm still basking in the glow with what's left of my littlebrain.

You must post more and tell us all about it.

Aw. Your response to my first post is a warm welcome to this forum. I'm on such a high from the last show and most people I know can't relate. I will totally post more as soon as I can and I plan on doing a blog post on my crafting blog on how I framed my show poster. My blog is named after Wilco lyrics :)

• 3 weeks later...