Ray Davies - Chicago Theatre, 11/11

Tonight my parents were at a benefit dinner for a friend's foundation and they won a pair of tickets to see Ray Davies at the Chicago Theatre on 11/11.

They just called to tell me this and to ask me if I wanted the tickets.

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

Did I mention that my parents rock?

If your parents rocked, they would go see Ray. Just sayin'

I thought of that too. But then, I decided that they rock more for giving me the tickets.

And, the Nigel Tufnel thing... also thought of that. Maybe Ray will pay tribute (but I somehow doubt it).

• 4 weeks later...

So, this video appears to have been taken a few rows back from where I sat. Except my seats were dead-center.

So awesome!

Hey, Winston Legthigh:

What'd you think? Where were your seats?

Anything that he didn't play that you wanted to hear?

Me:

"Picture Book"

"Thanksgiving Day" (which I thought he was going to do after that Alex Chilton story)

But, really, no complaints at all.

Any other VCers there besides the 2 of us?

I thought the Victoria tease was cruel.

I was right of center on the main floor, just under the edge of the balcony.

I really enjoyed the show, but would have liked more "full band" songs rather than the campfire sing-along of the 1st half of the show. But, Waterloo Sunset came off beautifully, and Sunny Afternoon was fun.

Ray really seemed to be enjoying himself, especially once the whole band joined the show. He's pretty spry for an old guy.

Would have loved to hear: Tired of Waiting, Stop your sobbing, and Shangri-La, and if the show were moved back a month, Father Christmas.

One note: I thought it strange that both the lead singer from The 88 (they served as both the openers and backing band), and the radio guy from XRT mispronounced Ray's last name. Yes, I get that most of us call him Ray Day-veez. But eventually, Kinks fans learn that the correct pronunciation is Day-viz. A big deal? maybe not, but the guy's a fucking legend, so if you're going to introduce him, have the respect to learn to pronounce his name correctly (especially if you've been touring with him for a while, as The 88 have). I guess Ray is humble enough to have never corrected him (him being the lead singer from The 88?)

I enjoyed The 88's set too. Great pipes on the lead singer.

Americans have been misprounouncing his name for so long that it isn't going to change. Mostly it is the NPR crowd that has changed due to the recent interview where he pointed out the correct pronunciation. I have trouble thinking of him as Ray Daviz myself.

LouieB

Americans have been misprounouncing his name for so long that it isn't going to change. Mostly it is the NPR crowd that has changed due to the recent interview where he pointed out the correct pronunciation. I have trouble thinking of him as Ray Daviz myself.

LouieB

This.

100 percent.

Here's the set list:

Ray with Bill:

I Need You

I'm Not Like Everybody Else

Sunny Afternoon

Dedicated Followed Of Fashion

Waterloo Sunset

See My Friends

Apeman