Nineties propulsor

Imagine that an Eastern European scientist invents "the nineties propulsor". For a great deal of money (like what millionaires pay today for space trips departing from Baikonur cosmodrome) you could travel back in time to any day of the nineties you wish.

The device puts you in bed, any day of that decade, sets a clock alarm at six, and gives you a 24 hour period of nineties. You must return to bed by 5:59 the next morning, otherwise the mechanism (not fully developed yet) may take you instead to the 1890s, 1790s, 1690s, and so on, getting stuck in an endless time warp.

So you wake up that morning to find that:

* Being There is the new Wilco.

* New Adventures in Hi Fi is the new R.E.M.

* Bill Clinton is in the presidency.

* Boris Yeltsin is on television addressing a boring Politburo (or is it Duma?)

* You realise that it all was a dream: neither Jennifer Aniston, nor Marisa Tomei, are your next door neighbours

* You haven't decided whether you'll go see the new Jim Carrey movie on cinemas today

* Another dotcom company with a funny name has appeared on the front page of the Wall Street Journal

* Your walkman is short on battery power

* Cheers on television looks like a very old show from an ancient era, you can't wait for the next Seinfeld to screen later in the evening.

* You just saw Ronin the other day.

* A certain Linus Torvalds is featured in a very obscure "white paper" that you must read for today's class.

* Alan Greenspan says there's less inflation.

* George Stephanopoulos is (again) on television addressing a crowd of reporters.

* You purchased Martha Stewart Living for your mother.

* The mailman has just delivered a CompuServe bill.

It's only a collection of events and personages, no action neccesary on your part. Just a way to express my nostalgia of the nineties. Actually, this couldn't be a specific date in the decade, soon after writing this I realised that the events are chronologically unconnected (all have in common the timeframe of the nineties). I think it was a great decade, marked by people in the entertainment business (Carrey, Tomei...), in politics (Clinton, Yeltsin...) and I had forgotten the spelling of "Stephanopoulos" :)

The 90's were fun.

Of course, the fact that I was in my 20s, I'm sure had a little something to so with it.

Lots of going to shows --

Super Furry Animals, Stereolab, Flaming Lips, Built to Spill, Neutral Milk Hotel, Apples in Stereo, etc., etc...

Lots of eating at expensive restaurants (that I couldn't afford).

Lots of generally Bohemian living, with nothing to worry about but myself.

Lots of playing out with my bands.

And, of course, lots of girls!

Yeah, the 90's were fun.

The mid-nineties had some shitty stuff, like Home Improvement and Newt Gingrich and the Atlanta Olympics bombing and Hootie & the Blowfish and Hard Copy.

Also had the best albums from Guided by Voices, Auteurs, Luna...

90's were good - though I could have done without the Spin Doctors (more importantly I wish WXRT would drop them from their current playlist)

Dave Matthews too.

Especially Dave.

There was a time when I was addicted to a song by The Wallflowers, One Headlight.

What a great band, I regret their disappearance from the musical map.

In his solo career, Dylan has been doing very country, americana kind of stuff, and even though it's good, I miss the days when he rocked.

That song, along with 1973 by The Smashing Pumpkins, are probably the two songs that made the decade to me.

At the time I wasn't into R.E.M., Wilco, or Neutral Milk hotel, so I don't know things would have turned out if I had listened to Bittersweet Me, E-Bow the letter (R.E.M.) for the first time in 1996 instead of 2010: or if I had listened to In the Aeroplane over the Sea in 1998 instead of 2011.

Things could have turned out differently, I don't know how much of a radical or minor change, had I driven to Wilco-R.E.M.-Neutral Milk Hotel in the nineties instead of Wallflowers-James-Smashing Pumpkins, and I don't remember exactly, did Tragic Kingdom already exist at the time?

The mid-nineties had some shitty stuff, like Home Improvement and Newt Gingrich and the Atlanta Olympics bombing and Hootie & the Blowfish and Hard Copy.

I still remember hearing the bomb go off on ESPN's live late night telecast of Olympic results. That was pretty terrifying. I was in the Home Improvement demo when it was on i.e. I was like ten, so I used to watch it here and there, I take it it hasn't aged well?

--Mike

I never could stomach Tim Allen's bullshit.

Despite this, you can't fuck with Buzz Lightyear.

Buzz might be the only character from the nineties still relevant / popular nowadays, which probably can't be said of Carrey or Tomei. And Robert de Niro is far from a Ronin incarnation in that film he did with Bradley Cooper, Limitless.

Marisa Tomei? Still totally relevant and hot.

I know, but I didn't like what they wrote on the back cover of The Wrestler DVD, they describe her character as "a forty year old stripper" made me realise she is not a twenty something anymore. I liked her in the Devil Knows You're Dead...

Mr. Skin is a website that specializes in locating, rating, and posting instances of female nudity in television and film. Founded in August 1999, Mr. Skin is also the nickname of the company's Chief Executive Officer, whose real name is Jim McBride.[1] As of 2007, MrSkin.com attracted more than seven million visitors per month.[2]

At the 20 minutes and 30 second mark The Wrestler is the greatest movie in history, but only in that moment.

I see, thanks for elucidating. That company was founded in 1999 according to the wikipedia entry, so it's still a nineties topic. From what I've heard Scandinavian film (television maybe) has featured this type of images, for various decades now, without the public scandalising.

On a separate note I recently acquired Groundhog day, I had never seen it in cinemas nor television before, but I like the air of nineties that transpires all over the film. I am not a fan of Bill Murray either, but I did notice a striking resemblance with Tom Hanks.