What's your favorite Halloween candy? Any spooky decor in your windows? What are some of your best costumes in past years or this year? Or your kids' if you have any?

I love this time of year. Roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin spice lattes, Haunted Hotels episodes on the Travel Channel, gorgeous autumn leaves, creative costumes, spooky decor, strings of orange and purple outdoor lights, candy leftover from Halloween that I'll work on persuading my kids to share with me.

Look, even my avatar, Walden, is in the festive mood--he's dressed up like Jeff Tweedy.

My wife and her best friend dressed as Sonic drinks one year.

We stopped giving out candy the year that over half the trick or treaters had more facial hair that I did.

It's a WHOLE different vibe in Texas these days.

I haven't put out the halloween candy yet because my own kids will eat it all before any trick-or-treaters get here!

I think my favorite costume was when we dressed Brennan as a movie theatre floor....black sweats with all kinds of smashed drink cups and empty candy boxes attached, stray bits of candy, and spilled popcorn everywhere, including a bunch in his spiked (it was the fashion then) hair. He looked amazing. Walking cinemuck.

This year Alissa is using her blonde hair and blue eyes to good advantage, going as Alice in Wonderland. Brennan is going as an urbane horse-about-town, with a dress jacket and shirt, black scarf and cigar, topped with a great rubber horsehead mask. The mask goes on over the head & has a plush mane and wild eyes. I hope he can manage not to run into anything, because the only way to see is through the horse's mouth! It looks terrific though!

Great costumes here! Ideas for next year...

This year my kids were a train conductor and fairy princess, while my husband & I went as harried old exhausted & overworked parents...wait a minute...those are our everyday costumes! I meant to dress up but time got away for putting something together. I did, though, manage to "help" the kids with their candy and get a pumpkin spice latte. Bliss!