Rhett Miller and Jon Brion cover California Stars on new album

Just comparing the two, it's pretty similar to Tweedy solo show versions with the piano.

Guitar playing is much more basic than Tweedy's

Tempo is sped up

Voice is a little whinier

Other than that basically the same thing and not much if anything added to it.

It's not bad, but it's not really anything, it just kind of is.

pretty cool he covered it, but there really wasn't much there to put his own spin on it

Just comparing the two, it's pretty similar to Tweedy solo show versions with the piano.

Guitar playing is much more basic than Tweedy's

Tempo is sped up

Voice is a little whinier

Other than that basically the same thing and not much if anything added to it.

It's not bad, but it's not really anything, it just kind of is.

pretty cool he covered it, but there really wasn't much there to put his own spin on it

Rhett's one of my favorite singers, but I agree with this. Too fast, weird phrasing, not much to add. I hope the rest of the album is better.

Rhett's one of my favorite singers, but I agree with this. Too fast, weird phrasing, not much to add. I hope the rest of the album is better.

Isn't the purpose of a cover to change around the phrasing and stuff? I mean, if the person covering the song sang the song exactly like the original singer wouldn't it be a copy instead of a cover?

I don't mind different. I will listen to Devo singing Satisfaction 1,000,000 times, or Bad Plus with Wendy Lewis singing Comfortably Numb or Radio Cure. Very unique takes. There's not much character to this cover. Rhett sings to just be off on this one. Off the beat a bit, and to no positive effect to my ears.