So, Smashing Pumpkins have a new record?

Oceania released Nov. 1 (per AllMusic.com).

Who knew?

EDIT:

Nevermind. It looks like it's actually coming out next year. AMG strikes again.

Last time I read they were working on this, it seems as though the stuff had been in preparation for a couple of years now, and most of the songs were already available through their site.

It was like some sort of two volume album, very ambitious, and Corgan would work on several versions of the songs. It's been a while since I read this, I-m in a hurry now but later in the day I'll try to locate that info I read.

I hope it's a good album anyway, unfortunately it may as well be their last.

The last Corgan interview I read he was in Chicago for some live shows but he was the only remaining member of the band, accompanied by some other folks.

In that interview he discussed his ageing (he's in his forties) and mentioned how he had achieved maturity over the years.

He also said the entire Smashing Pumpkins is to be re-released, I'm especially looking forward to the commemorative issue of Mellon Collie.

Oceania was supposed to released this month on the internet but has been pushed to next year. Lots of buzz about this album being a true return to form (i.e. sounds like gish/sd)...so it's the 3rd volume of Teargarden by Kaleidoscopic, a 44 track collection they are planning on releasing over the next few years. Doubt it'll ever make it to 44 tracks...TbK so far has been pretty good. You can get the first 10 track of TbK on their website for free. I started a thread, but no one really cares for the Pumpkins anymore, so no one really talked about it, yadda yadda, but who could blame them...

Gish and Siamese Dream are being reissued in various formats in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to these...

• 5 months later...

I kinda like the cover -it's very un-smashing pumpkins.

I'm actually still cautiously optimistic about Oceania. I mean, it has to be better than Zeigeist, right? I still dig most of the TBK material. But in all honesty, I'm still more pumped for the reissues.

• 1 month later...

It's weird that he talks in the interview over an over about how the Smashing Pumpkins needed to die, and he needed to stop trying to play with Jimmy. Why didn't he just give this band a new name then?

The other weird thing is this album is called Oceania, while this larger than life stoner rock band called Isis had an album called Oceanic, Oceania has a song called "Panopticon", and Isis had an album called Panopticon. I wonder......

Surprised there isn't more talk on this here. It's a really great album and so nice to hear Billy writing MELODIES again. Best thing he's done since "Adore"...in fact, this album reminds me a lot of that one.

yeah... even though i still don't really give a shit about the Pumpkins (and haven't post '98 or so), this is by far the best and most focused full album he's put out post '00, no question.

Panopticon is fantastic actually.

yeah... even though i still don't really give a shit about the Pumpkins (and haven't post '98 or so), this is by far the best and most focused full album he's put out post '00, no question.

Panopticon is fantastic actually.

Oh, those comparative praises.