Wilco Inspired Guitar Rigs

Yes, yes I do. But hey, I use it all regularly! That counts for something... Right? Right? I can quit any time I want...

What kind of hole in your heart are you trying to fill with gear? We all miss "Cougartown," but buying another guitar pedal won't bring it back. We may have to stage an intervention.

So I resolve to buy a new guitar this year, my incentive for exercising and losing weight (and bonus permitting). I am torn between a Fender Jazzmaster and a Gibson SG (maybe the Tweedy model?) I really want the jazzmaster but I already have a strat and a tele as my main guitars so buying yet another Fender seems wrong. I need something that will sound maybe beefier or fatter, or at least much different. More of a humbucker sound. The other guitarist in the band already has an ES-335 and a Les Paul so I would like to stay away from those. The SG seems like a good choice when I see how many great musicians have used them and had great tones. Any thoughts or experiences with either guitar?

So I resolve to buy a new guitar this year, my incentive for exercising and losing weight (and bonus permitting). I am torn between a Fender Jazzmaster and a Gibson SG (maybe the Tweedy model?) I really want the jazzmaster but I already have a strat and a tele as my main guitars so buying yet another Fender seems wrong. I need something that will sound maybe beefier or fatter, or at least much different. More of a humbucker sound. The other guitarist in the band already has an ES-335 and a Les Paul so I would like to stay away from those. The SG seems like a good choice when I see how many great musicians have used them and had great tones. Any thoughts or experiences with either guitar?

I have experience in wanting both but no experience in playing either. The jazzmaster (should) have P90s, so I wouldn't get hung up on the "not another Fender" thing because you'll still be opening up new sonic territory. I've occasionally seen pictures of SGs with P90s too. What amp will this be going through?

I have experience in wanting both but no experience in playing either. The jazzmaster (should) have P90s, so I wouldn't get hung up on the "not another Fender" thing because you'll still be opening up new sonic territory. I've occasionally seen pictures of SGs with P90s too. What amp will this be going through?

I'm using a Bruno Underground 30 right now. Kind of a cross between a Vox and a fender blackface.

I will say that Wilco has turned me on to some cool pedals: Freakshow FX (I got the boost they make that Jeff uses, as well as their awesome tremolo which I haven't seen anyone else use), Prunes and Custard (which I still love for the right part, but I think Tweedy pulled his off his pedal board.)

The Wilco boys have also got me curious about both of these amps:

http://www.teixeiraamps.com/index.html

http://www.schroederaudioinc.com/products/

i should stop paying attention to this thread- i've been GAS-free for almost a year but i sense a case of it coming on.

that swart, by the way looks deflicious. i've heard really good things about those and would love to try one, which might happen in the next lifetime if i'mm reallly really good and fight the urge to buy new gear....

I have experience in wanting both but no experience in playing either. The jazzmaster (should) have P90s,

A Jazzmaster should have Jazzmaster pickups. Not really played one, but I've been interested in JM's recently and while reading up on them I've found the pickups are very different from your standard p90s. Most people say their closer to a standard Strat single coil.

A Jazzmaster should have Jazzmaster pickups. Not really played one, but I've been interested in JM's recently and while reading up on them I've found the pickups are very different from your standard p90s. Most people say their closer to a standard Strat single coil.

That's exactly what I don't need. But when I hear Dinosaur Jr., Wilco, Sonic youth, etc... I'm not hearing much of a single coil sound.

That's exactly what I don't need. But when I hear Dinosaur Jr., Wilco, Sonic youth, etc... I'm not hearing much of a single coil sound.

I agree, well, with the Wilco assessment at least. Nels' playing is what really drew me to the JM. I think the lead stuff he plays sounds like a pretty good example of the way p90s sound. I was surprised to read how different they actually are.

Went to the Isbell show last night and got a good look at his pedals. I know this thread is not really about Isbell but seems like a good gear head thread so what the heck. His entire set up was significantly different than the last time I saw him. Maybe because all the band gear was fairly recently stolen? Anyways, his set up was:

Guitar (used for 99 percent of the show): Duesenberg Starplayer TV Goldtop

Amp: Fender Deville (was using Sommatone last time I saw him)

Distortion Pedal, not sure this was the exact one but it was definitely a ZVEX pedal, pretty sure he had the green Ibanez tube screamer last time I saw him.

z10.jpg

Octave pedal:

micro-pog.jpg

Also saw your standard Boss Digital delay and what I think was maybe a planet waves or other tuner. Overall a pretty inexpensive set up and an amazing sound.

I have a Fender Deville that I no longer use but I could never get near the tone out of it that Jason was getting. I can never understand what I am doing wrong.

• 5 weeks later...

A pic of my aforementioned pedal rig:

pboard.jpg

ALSO! A recent acquisition:

1960 Supro Super 1606

supro.jpg

I believe a certain Mr. Tweedy has one of these babies, and used it extensively on A Ghost Is Born. It sounds amazing. Basically in mint coniditon except for that little wear on the corner there. It has the ORIGINAL TUBES from 1960, and they sound strangely incredible.

• 3 weeks later...