All I need is one note, maybe 2

It is the rare musician, ESPECIALLY an instrumentalist, whose style is so singular, that you can identify them almost instantly, with only a note or two. But they are out there. I can think of three in particular, who all I need to hear is one or two notes from their instrument, to know (almost) certainly that it's them.

Thelonious Monk

His chord voicings, melodies, and harmonic inventions are like noone else. Even his best imitators can't seem to get it just right.

Mark Knopfler

It's all about the tone. His fingers on the strings. The way that it snaps. One of my favorite guitar players.

Neil Young

Really applies only to his electric solos, but when he plays like that, it's like he's on the verge of spiraling out into the abyss and never coming back. Just HOWLS like noone else.

B.B. King - his sound is so distinct it takes only one note to know it's him

Another: Richard Thompson (I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I've always wondered if Knopfler took some of his sound from Thompson's) The opening guitar notes of The Calvary Cross are the epitome of RT's electric guitar tone, fucking beautiful!