hmm... no thread yet about THE ROOTS?

Great band. Probably the best live show I've ever seen. That "best band in hip hop" tag they get so often is an insult, because they're one of the most skilled bands out there, period. So much fun to watch.

Their discography is terrific too, especially lately. They're one of the most consistently excellent bands out there, and the kind of act that can pull in true hip hop fans, casual fans, and even people who claim to hate hip hop. They get some love on here in the Now Playing threads, but not enough.

Great band. Probably the best live show I've ever seen. That "best band in hip hop" tag they get so often is an insult, because they're one of the most skilled bands out there, period. So much fun to watch.

Their discography is terrific too, especially lately. They're one of the most consistently excellent bands out there, and the kind of act that can pull in true hip hop fans, casual fans, and even people who claim to hate hip hop. They get some love on here in the Now Playing threads, but not enough.

great points.

and not only are they one of the best of any genre, that tag is also insulting, cuz while many acts might have a backing "band" for certain appearances, how many live band are there really in hip-hop? so it's a double-edged insult dressed up as a compliment.

The Roots are great. Like several of my favorie hip-hop artisits (Jay-Z, Talib) their recent albums are all a mix of instant classics, solid deep cuts, and forgettable throwaways. Everything they've done has something excellent on it. I still need to hear the new one, but all the press made it sound really interesting.

yea, this new one UNDUN is amazing, and this week i reminded myself that the last one (How I Got Over) was really great as well.

UNDUN is a great record but How I Got Ove was stunning, a real feel good album. Phrenology is still my favourite Roots record and 'The Seed' is a slice of perfect Hip Hop.