If I had never been to LA before and could only do 1 thing, I'd probably pick the beach / Santa Monica Pier. Unless my kids are with me in which I'd take them to Disneyland.

But I think it's supposed to remain a little chilly this weekend (mid 60s) so the beach might not be a great idea. (unless you're coming from a place where 65 would feel like a warm spring day!)

But "LA" is enormous and you can waste a ton of time stuck in traffic here getting from one place to another. Just remember that when planning activities -- the closer everything is to each other, the better.

If it was me, I'd drive down Sunset Blvd., which is an education in itself, and then let it take me all the way out until it empties onto Pacific Coast Highway at the ocean. From there, a little drive will take you to the pier at Santa Monica to play.

This drive gets you the rush and roar of Hollywood, then a longish, pretty drive of winding road, then the rush and roar of the Pacific Ocean. A pretty great drive.

Edit: I was looking at a map just now...if you exit the 101 fwy. in the Echo Park area (maybe Alvarado or Silver Lake Blvd.) and travel north up to W. Sunset Blvd., then turn west (left) & take Sunset all the way out to the ocean (at South Will Rogers State Beach), it's about 22 miles and mapquest says it'd take just under an hour. Then a left turn onto Pacific Coast Highway turns you toward the very cool Santa Monica Pier, with rides & buskers & restaurants on the pier itself. That's just 3.4 miles down PCH (6 minutes) The freeway is right there to travel back to wherever you are staying.

Whatever you choose to do, have a great visit!

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up with only a few hours to see the sights, so we drove past the Rose Bowl (under construction) and headed to Hollywood. Stopped by the In & Out Burger and rode through the hills, down Sunset blvd and Hollywood blvd.

The food was ridiculously good everywhere we ate and The Langham in Pasadena was one of the better hotels I've stayed in.

Thanks for the input and on my next trip will defifitely see The Getty.