Ive been close but never met Jeff Tweedy

I met him after a show in Charleston, and all I had time for was to thank him and Michael both for coming out to visit fans in the rain. Classy dudes, those Wilcos.

Correction - Wilci...

--where in the brain is the Jeff Tweedy neuron?

It's funny, in thinking about music and the brain, I've wondered about what specifically happens in my brain when I listen to some Wilco songs, and why they feel so different to me than listening to any other music. I get a very physical response (elevated heart rate, for example!), and I'm sure neurological, too, that just isn't there with most other music. How (and why) do our brains react to our favorite music, versus music in general or to music that we don't like? It's very, very interesting! I need to read the Oliver Sachs book about music and the brain.

Thanks for posting that link!

But as we say in Sweden, what happens in log sauna stays in log saun

:lol

It's funny, in thinking about music and the brain, I've wondered about what specifically happens in my brain when I listen to some Wilco songs, and why they feel so different to me than listening to any other music. I get a very physical response (elevated heart rate, for example!), and I'm sure neurological, too, that just isn't there with most other music. How (and why) do our brains react to our favorite music, versus music in general or to music that we don't like? It's very, very interesting! I need to read the Oliver Sachs book about music and the brain.

Thanks for posting that link!

Yes, cleary there's a response to audio too, not just a response to pictures, as any avid Wilco fan can probably attest. It will be interesting to see what future research reveals about the whole neuron thing! I'll add that Oliver Sachs book to my (ever-growing) reading list.

I read Oliver Sachs' Musicophilia when I first got into Wilco in a big way, in an effort to deconstruct my own fanaticism. One of the interesting discussions in that book for me was on how music is used in almost every religion as a part of worship. Music can induce spiritual rapture. It's close to how I feel.

I have my own theories about applying the resonant frequencies of objects -- Maybe the specific frequency of Wilco's music or Jeff Tweedy's singing voice makes me oscillate on a cellular level. And just as certain frequencies of sound can shatter glass but leave our eardrums intact, we all have different composition and so not everyone will find the same resonance.

Maybe a bad analogy would be the whistle that only dogs can hear, which is what I usually say about things my friends like that I just don't "get".

Also, I'm of the school that thinks our heroes like for us to tell them they are amazing. What is tricky is that sometimes we want to be special to our heroes and so when we do have that encounter we end up wanting to tell them how amazing WE are, and struggle to find something uncommon to say so we would be unforgettable. Maybe that's when it gets awkward.

I enjoy the exercise in unrequitable love that defines being a fan. Love requited risks losing luster.

(I am amazed at my ability to wax at length about minutiae to strangers on the interwebs when there is a deadline looming...)

(null)

I have my own theories about applying the resonant frequencies of objects -- Maybe the specific frequency of Wilco's music or Jeff Tweedy's singing voice makes me oscillate on a cellular level.

THAT'S IT! (In the manner of Lucy to Charlie Brown when he suggests that their Christmas play needs a tree.) But, for me anyway, it's only some songs. Jeff's voice is a constant, but not all Jeff's songs produce that cellular oscillation, as you so deftly put it.

Also, I'm of the school that thinks our heroes like for us to tell them they are amazing. What is tricky is that sometimes we want to be special to our heroes.

Yes, I think you're on to something here. When the object of your worship seems so familiar, from his voice and mannerisms to what he's wearing, how is it possible that you're just a total stranger to him? We can't help but want some sort of reciprocation to help support all the years of adoration.

Like you, I find it vastly interesting to dissect the minutiae of fandom. Leave it to VCers... so few of my real-life friends would ever have these conversations with me!

I think part of the desire to meet someone you idolize is the need for some kind of affirmation of self: he saw me, touched me and talked to me, I exist in his eyes. I've met and had pix taken with all of them except the animal on the drums. I'll have to stalk him at the next show, whenever that is.

The best by far was the first time we met Jeff in New Haven on my daughter's 13th birthday. I couldn't have scripted it better. We met him before the show and he graciously took some pix (no legs! he was in shorts, out for a jog, and didn't want to show the pastey white February pallor), took her request ("On and On" which they closed the main set with), then caught her on the sidewalk after the show and signed the pictures we had printed. Some lovely young women who were front row center met her in the lobby before the show (this kid ain't shy) and invited her down front for the last few tunes. He leaned forward and told her, "We're gonna do your song now." It was just perfect.

I have met a few folks I admire who turned out to be total dicks. Todd Rundgren whom I have loved forever was a total asshole the first time we met him.

and then another time he called us over and we smoked a spliff. Go figure.

I think part of the desire to meet someone you idolize is the need for some kind of affirmation of self: he saw me, touched me and talked to me, I exist in his eyes. I've met and had pix taken with all of them except the animal on the drums. I'll have to stalk him at the next show, whenever that is.

The best by far was the first time we met Jeff in New Haven on my daughter's 13th birthday. I couldn't have scripted it better. We met him before the show and he graciously took some pix (no legs! he was in shorts, out for a jog, and didn't want to show the pastey white February pallor), took her request ("On and On" which they closed the main set with), then caught her on the sidewalk after the show and signed the pictures we had printed. Some lovely young women who were front row center met her in the lobby before the show (this kid ain't shy) and invited her down front for the last few tunes. He leaned forward and told her, "We're gonna do your song now." It was just perfect.

So do you attribute these JT meetings to good timing? Pure luck? Being in the right place at the right time? I'd like to absorb some of that and have a total accidental run-in, maybe at a taco place or on the beach, before the St. Augustine show. Wilco guys like tacos, right? :eat

" I exist in his eyes." This captures it perfectly. More ego -- damn thing can't be squashed!

So do you attribute these JT meetings to good timing? Pure luck? Being in the right place at the right time? I'd like to absorb some of that and have a total accidental run-in, maybe at a taco place or on the beach, before the St. Augustine show. Wilco guys like tacos, right? :eat

" I exist in his eyes." This captures it perfectly. More ego -- damn thing can't be squashed!

All of the above. We saw the busses downtown after getting out of church so we went to the theater and waited on the sidewalk for a while and up came Jeff. We just missed Nels. The other guys I met in the crowd at Solid Sound 1 and 2. They are all very nice guys, graciously agreed to pose for a picture and sign some stuff. I just try not to be a dick or hog their time. They're trying to have some fun, too.

The first time I met Jeff was in 1997. Just became a fan of the band and had very little to say. I fortunatley had tickets to see them perform on letterman. I hung around the stage door and it was me , my friend, Jeff and Jay...I talked with them for about 15 minutes..after I ran out of things I talked about nonsense things I am sure. I still remember this moment as I was 16 and just really getting into music...Still have my signed Being There cd... :guitar

I talked to Glenn a couple times at Solid Sound last year. The first time I caught him in a gallery and showed him a picture of my 8 year old son on his drum set - I promised the kid that if I ever had the opportunity to show Glenn that he plays drums, I would. The second time, I witnessed him single handedly get his daughter into her stroller, put her sandles on and then load his son into a front carrier. It was impressive and, as a mom of 2, I had to complement him on his mad transportation preparation skills. He actually thanked me for being so enthusiastic during his solo show. He had forgotten to put on his sweatbands, messed up a section of Monkey Chant (who noticed?) and was worried he was going to lose a stick and hit someone in the head again LOL! Apparently, my obvious immense enjoyment of the set kept his mind off of potential decapitations. How crazy and sweet is that to be thanked by the drummer of your all-time favorite band when all you want to do is thank him in some way that doesn't make you come off as a nut job?!

I'm not sure I even want to meet Jeff. I know I'd start shaking and my ears would turn bright red like they always do when I'm in uncomfortable situations and I'd definitely be uncomfortable because I'm quite confident I wouldn't be able to put a coherent sentence together. Not sure why it would be so hard to say hello, you rock and thank you. Maybe I should carry around a note card just in case...