Ive been close but never met Jeff Tweedy

And that would be...?

What do you think of this YouTube clip? ;)

The first thing I ever said to Jeff was: "I saved you the Diet Coke in the cooler"

The second was: "When I was 14 I jumped off my amps just like you used to!"

Both made him laugh. I always forget to ask him things I think of. Maybe I should make a list for Birmingham... :hmm

This could turn into an interview segment! Or not. :twitchsmile

I have met Jeff but still have a question. You'd think I'd remember to ask sometime: What the heck color are his eyes? When I've made cover art for bootlegs I've needed to know a couple times and I've never been sure. Gray? Green? They are those sort of eyes that look different in different light, so photos haven't helped.

$10 to the first person who can answer this with authority! I'm lying of course, there's no money in it for anybody. After we get this one answered we can work on DBoon's question, and the rest of you.

They are those sort of eyes that look different in different light, so photos haven't helped.

True, this is the case with my eyes (or so I'm told :mellow )

If I could ask a question to Jeff Tweedy I think it'd be Peter Buck related, just don't know what precisely.

Actually, semi-serious response: Have y'all ever seen that strange youtube clip where Jeff is discussing a dream he had, about being accosted by guys and later realizing that he's the connector for all these people? The background is all black and he must be wearing a black sweater, because it almost appears that his head is floating. It's on youtube somewhere but I can't find it. Anyway, I've always wanted to know what kind of a project he recorded that for. It's an incredibly illuminating dream that, when you think about it, is very understandable for someone in his position. If I can find it I'll post it, or if someone else can, do us the favor.

This could turn into an interview segment! Or not. :twitchsmile

I have met Jeff but still have a question. You'd think I'd remember to ask sometime: What the heck color are his eyes? When I've made cover art for bootlegs I've needed to know a couple times and I've never been sure. Gray? Green? They are those sort of eyes that look different in different light, so photos haven't helped.

$10 to the first person who can answer this with authority! I'm lying of course, there's no money in it for anybody. After we get this one answered we can work on DBoon's question, and the rest of you.

I suppose they would be considered to be 'speckled' then? The paint on my car is the same way. It looks charcoal gray, but in a certain light (especially if I'd ever getting around to washing it) you can see specks of green and blue.

Run him through the was, see what you come up with.

Actually, semi-serious response: Have y'all ever seen that strange youtube clip where Jeff is discussing a dream he had, about being accosted by guys and later realizing that he's the connector for all these people? The background is all black and he must be wearing a black sweater, because it almost appears that his head is floating. It's on youtube somewhere but I can't find it. Anyway, I've always wanted to know what kind of a project he recorded that for. It's an incredibly illuminating dream that, when you think about it, is very understandable for someone in his position. If I can find it I'll post it, or if someone else can, do us the favor.

I have not seen the clip, but it was probably recorded for an exhibit at a Chicago museum (or cultural center?) back around 2003 or 2004. My memory of it is very fuzzy, but the piece included a lot of people discussing their dreams, projected onto the walls.

ah, cool... Tweedy and I share the same eye color. Some days blue, some days greenish, some days gray. My mom always called them hazel when I was a kid, so that's what I say they are. No clue if that's accurate. :)

re: what I would ask him -- I'd do what I always do when I get the opportunity to meet someone famous who I really like... walk away. It's probably a combo of general shyness / afraid of acting like a fanatic fool / afraid of finding out he's an asshole / whatever, but I don't have much desire to get to know anyone really famous -- at least not in a random, "hey, I'm a big fan of yours" kind of way.

I have not seen the clip, but it was probably recorded for an exhibit at a Chicago museum (or cultural center?) back around 2003 or 2004. My memory of it is very fuzzy, but the piece included a lot of people discussing their dreams, projected onto the walls.

I remember that, LeRoy did one too.

Also, if I ever meet Jeff Tweedy, I'm going to ask him if I can borrow a shoelace.

I've met Jeff Tweedy. The question I asked him was: "Could you sign an autograph?" His answer was: "Sure." And then "Nice pen." (Staedtler permanent fine lumocolor in black, by the way.)

Afterwards I wondered why there is this compulsion to want to meet our heroes. I guess I imagined it would feel like God's own light shining down on me. And in retrospect, it was exactly like that.

The second time I met Jeff Tweedy, I asked him: "Did you read that Jonathan Franzen book that you were in?" His answer was "No, was it good?" I'd just finished the book and hadn't thoroughly digested it, so I said, "Um, well, you were good in it." And his assistant guy said "Freedom? I want to read that book." And then I had my photo taken with him, and he said "Sorry I'm so sweaty." I could have said something crass in reply, but I did not because I am a lady.

(I've also met Anthony from the Wiggles. He sat at the next table when we were having dinner at a very fancy restaurant. I asked him about the big red car, he told me he parked the big red car in the tow zone.)

I was pleasured by meeting with Mr Jeff Tweedy in Stockholm of recent tour. I made question in form of invitation to visit family herd with stopover at most bountifull ice hole. He reply that it was not on my Nelly, but I have not the clue what this it was he made refer. Is this nicked name for Mr Nels? I was in dizzy mode from pop stomp rush so lost opportunity for coming with the witty back to him like your Mr Chevrolet Chase in film of Spies Like Us. At least I did not miss opportunity to pass over special package which I am sure he enjoy most deeply when back in home mode. Friends here will have recollect of frequent package delivery that has been made in past times. There is never any returning to sender, so I take this as the good sign. This is my moment with Mr Jeff Tweedy. It has some prestige as you can agree for sure, but it is not on the par with special meeting with the Abba in past times. But as we say in Sweden, what happens in log sauna stays in log sauna, so I will speak no more of it, and it is by no meaning the reason for the love of the Abba. That is pure music reason as all can believe!

Welfare!

re: what I would ask him -- I'd do what I always do when I get the opportunity to meet someone famous who I really like... walk away. It's probably a combo of general shyness / afraid of acting like a fanatic fool / afraid of finding out he's an asshole / whatever, but I don't have much desire to get to know anyone really famous -- at least not in a random, "hey, I'm a big fan of yours" kind of way.

I'm pretty sure I'd do exactly the same thing! There's a reason for our heroes to remain afar... so we can continue to worship them! It doesn't seem like meeting tons of random people who think he's great is that high on Jeff's list.

Having said that, however, Wilco is playing in St. Augustine (where I live) in May. How did all you guys oh so casually meet Jeff Tweedy? Does one hang around for hours before or after the show? Stalk the bus? What do you even do?

Last time I talked to him I was chilling by the bus around the time of soundcheck (it was 3-4pm).

Also gave the tip to hang by the bus around that time to a kid whom I'd met the day before who was a huge fan, and that night after the show he shook my hand, said he'd met Jeff, and could cross that one off his bucket list. One of the highlights of the trip was helping that kid. :)

I met him the first time, during the ghost is born tour in Houston. I was painfully shy and he was extremely nice, an embarrassing combination as he was too nice to walk away, and I was too frozen to move or speak. I have no idea why, I am not the type to be speechless or star struck, but I was and it was bad.Then after he starting asking me questions, I became a chatterbox, and I embarrassingly dug in purse for a guitar pic, that I thought was his, until he finally pulled one out of his pocket and gave it to me, in an effort to make me stop behaving like a weirdo. Finally able to speak like a normal person, I told him what a great show the Pixies did but hardly regained my dignity, my husband said as we walked away, "that was painful to watch".

The second time was in Dallas, Palladium Ballroom September 14th 2007, I took my son, Ethan, with me, it was his 8th birthday. His father and I always go to shows, and he had been begging to come along forever. When this one came along on his actual birthday I thought it was a great present for him, and it turned into the most memorable birthday he has ever had. During the show Eth was having a great time, the band noticed and Jeff began chatting with him from the stage. I told Jeff it was his birthday, and then the band, accompanied by most of the audience, sang Ethan, Happy Birthday, it was truly incredible and Ethan felt so amazing and special. After the show we met him and some of the other band members, this time I let Ethan do all the talking. Ethan will be 13 this year, It was his most favorite birthday, and I could never thank Jeff enough for making him feel so awesome. He still has the can of Sprite that Jeff handed him from the stage! After the show, Eth looked up to me all sleepy-eyed, "Do you think Jeff Tweedy will remember me, Mom?"

"Who could forget you?" I said.

Commence, "Awwing".