Scott McKenzie, 1939-2012

Hmmm. That site says Scott was born on Jan. 10, 1939, not the year 1030. He was a remarkable guy, but not, uh....(doing the math)...932 years old! I'll correct the topic title for you, i'm only sleeping. :)

Rest in peace, Scott. I'll always remember the summer of '67, when your song was all over the airwaves, and my family moved up to northern California. We stopped near the Golden Gate bridge as we traveled through San Francisco, and as we took in the view, my brother Steve tucked a flower into his hair, crooning "San Francisco". Good memories.

Hmmm. That site says Scott was born on Jan. 10, 1939, not the year 1030. He was a remarkable guy, but not, uh....(doing the math)...932 years old! I'll correct the topic title for you, i'm only sleeping. :)

Rest in peace, Scott. I'll always remember the summer of '67, when your song was all over the airwaves, and my family moved up to northern California. We stopped near the Golden Gate bridge as we traveled through San Francisco, and as we took in the view, my brother Steve tucked a flower into his hair, crooning "San Francisco". Good memories.

Thank you for the correction, kidsmoke. Good memories, indeed.

John Phillips wrote the song San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair). Scott and John were childhood friends, and they were also in a band together called The Journeymen.

There's a great video from the time of that song where he is walking around in his man-dress and lip syncing the song.

Boy, I'm really showing my age in these recent threads, but since the cat's out of the bag I'll just share this. . .

It was the summer after my junior year in high school when this song came out, and I remember being completely unaware of what it was about when I first heard it. I guess I was a kind of sheltered dork, living in Norfolk, Virginia, but I had never heard one word about the whole hippie/flowers in the hair/ love-in thing up to that point. I was barely aware of marijuana and didn't know anyone who indulged. By the end of the summer word had started spreading, even here in the hinterlands, about San Francisco and Haight-Ashbury, and I was enthralled by the whole movement. By senior year, everything had changed.

It's just funny to realize that how much that song kind of captured a moment, and I can't believe I'm the only person my age who was introduced to peace and love and hippies via the song. I'm sure people on the west coast or even in larger cities were more aware than I was, but I swear I wasn't completely provincial!

RIP, Scott.

John Phillips wrote the song San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair). Scott and John were childhood friends, and they were also in a band together called The Journeymen.

There's a great video from the time of that song where he is walking around in his man-dress and lip syncing the song.

Scott blew it by not joining the Mamas and Papas. So instead of being part of a group that made gobs of money, he has ended up as a one hit wonder. But at least he got that one hit.

I have seen that vid and it is hysterical.

LouieB

He also co-wrote the song Kokomo. He must have made some bucks off of that.

There must be a name for that sort of clothing. It's the same sort of thing The Mamas and Papas wore at the Monterey Pop Festival.

There certainly wasn't a lot of love from the SF bands for that song. Or anything originating from LA, for that matter.

He also co-wrote the song Kokomo. He must have made some bucks off of that.

There must be a name for that sort of clothing. It's the same sort of thing The Mamas and Papas wore at the Monterey Pop Festival.

Oh yea, Kokomo was huge, Must have gotten him through the last 30 years.

I should know what that kind of clothing is called but I have no idea.

LouieB