Leave iit to my daughter the former Tweedys Gurl to let me know there is a Duquesne train of some sort and the Carbondale invoked is actually in Pennsylvania not IL.

Dylan is hardly a reacist having used any number of blues singers as his career and songwritting models. This song clearly has an intentional Armstrong feel. Taking an Armstrong lick or two is a time homored tradition among all recording artists, and really why not.

If people are freaked out about Dylan using older musical models it may be time to give him up, but stopping at Street Legal leaves out a bunch of great material (and a whole bunch of lousy stuff too.) Did I menton how creepy the video is for this song? That may be more of an issue than the intentional and obvious homage to Pops.

LouieB

Kbraz, I think atticus was making a joke. Welcome to VC! :lol

Of course, I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time...

Was a running joke...before a lot of the old regulars took a powder and bailed on participating on the board

Is it just me or does Bob's voice sound quite nice on Narrow Way? It sounds like it did back on Time Out of Mind.

Wonder how many of these songs were written with Robert Hunter? From the 5 songs floating around out there now, Early Roman Kings sounds like the only "Dylan" song to me.

I'm working through Narrow Way right now, and I'm pretty pleased with what I'm hearing. Dylan's voice is sounding particularly strong so far - seems there's a focus on tenderness in the way he sings that was missing in TTL, and he sounds superb on Soon After Midnight. If only he'd quick barkin' during his live act...