http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/08/27/160015988/song-premiere-bob-dylan-duquesne-whistle?sc=tw&cc=share

He's 50 years into his recording career, and I found myself smiling with glee listening to this.

I am more than a little ingrigued by this one.

The Tempest is regarded as being the last play Shakespeare wrote.

Significant?

I am more than a little ingrigued by this one.

The Tempest is regarded as being the last play Shakespeare wrote.

Significant?

C'mon Crow, it's completely different. :headbonk :lol

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-on-his-dark-new-album-tempest-20120801

Dylan's mention of Shakespeare raises a question. The playwright's final work was called The Tempest, and some have already asked: Is Dylan's Tempest intended as a last work by the now 71-year-old artist? Dylan is dismissive of the suggestion. "Shakespeare's last play was called The Tempest. It wasn't called just plain Tempest. The name of my record is just plain Tempest. It's two different titles."

C'mon Crow, it's completely different. :headbonk :lol

http://www.rollingst...empest-20120801

Wow...I must really be a nerd. That idea came to me fully and totally independently without any input.

When did Dylan turn into Louie Armstrong...unlistenable to me and I am a huge Dylan fan. The music is nice but the voice ugh.

Same voice he's been rolling out for 16 years or so.

When did Dylan turn into Louie Armstrong...unlistenable to me and I am a huge Dylan fan. The music is nice but the voice ugh.

Got to agree with you unfortunately. We all know that Dylan's voice has been shot for years. But I actually thought his voice worked well on Modern Times - coming off like an old blues growler on some songs yet still able to hold a tune on the croonier songs like Spirit on the Water. Saw him in concert on the Modern Times tour and his voice still held up pretty well.

Saw him again in concert last year touring Together Through Life and the deterioration was significant. Almost unlistenable. I thought at the time that Dylan should really think about giving up touring - or at least cut back significantly for the sake of his voice. Sounds really bad on this song - doesn't bode well for the new album.

I thought he sounded better last week then he he did during the shows after the Together Through Life release - he definitely was more engaged. Perhaps it has to do with the introduction of the piano - I don't know - but he seems to be focusing more on the vocal delivery than he has in the past. Watching him sing, while playing the grand piano is quite the sight. The overall show was great - esp. Forgetful Heart.

I thought he sounded better last week then he he did during the shows after the Together Through Life release - he definitely was more engaged. Perhaps it has to do with the introduction of the piano - I don't know - but he seems to be focusing more on the vocal delivery than he has in the past. Watching him sing, while playing the grand piano is quite the sight. The overall show was great - esp. Forgetful Heart.

Glad to hear that. Maybe I caught him on a bad night last year. But I am finding his voice hard going on this new song in a way I didn't on any of the songs on Modern Times (was sort of OK on Together Through Life - but don't listen to that album much because I don't think it is a great collection of songs).

My thought exactly, but sounding like Louis Armstrong isn't THAT bad a thing is it? Actually I thought he should have tried harder to sound like Armstrong. At this point Dylan's songs are trying to ape pre-war music so much that it makes a certain amount of sense to just listen to pre-war music instread. This is an interesting tune, but pre-war music (which I end up listening to alot these days) is really more compelling yet. Not bad though. I kind of like it.

And I thought it was funny as hell that Carbondale got a name check. It made me realize that perhaps Dylan is using the nonsense name (in this case) Duquesne instead of the more appropriate geographically speaking names of either DuQuoin or Dubuque, both of which are other midwest cities on train lines. Frankliy I am not sure what the actual name is about in the context of this song. Does it matter? Apparently not, it just sounds good. Or is there something I am missing here. What is the connection between Pittsburgh and a train whistle? I don't think there is one. (Carbondale is nowhere near Pittsburgh, but it is just down the IL Central line from Duquoin.)

Edit- Kind of a creepy vid though.

LouieB

Carbondale got a name check - that's cool. Still ain't gonna listen to it, yet. :nailbite I might cave, though.

Sure his voice is rough, he definitely "croons" more so than sings - but hell his voice was never his strong suit, anyway.

Atticus..."racist, hate filled post." Give me a break nothing racist about it.

Was merely saying Dylan's voice now sounds like Armstrong which has nothing to do with race. And far from hating Dylan he is actually in my top 3 artists of all time. Just saying I can't stomach his voice on this song - your mileage may vary.

I in fact have a substantial collection of both of these artists' music...I guess though if I want to listen to someone sound like Armstrong I'll turn to the real deal.

And my Dylan listening goes from the first album to Street Legal.

You could not be further from the truth.

Kbraz, I think atticus was making a joke. Welcome to VC! :lol

Of course, I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time...

Mr. Heartbreak...forum sarcasm, cool I will take it as that!

Been accused of alot of things but being racist that is a first. :)