The 20 Worst Hipster Bands

It's true. I can see a level of snarkiness, or analness, might be a response to the deluge of artists. People trying to filter through a sea of new albums might feel more effective by being pickier, and therefore more cynical.

It seems the best music journalism warrants another listen after reading the review. It might bring up points to enhance, or challenge the listening experience. Some writers at Pitchfork seem pretty good at that. If anything a site like Pitchfork gets picked on because of their cultural relevance. People resent a false pretext that what Pitchfork says is necessarily true. It's kind of like that old forum argument of wanting people to qualify every strong opinion on music with a couple IMO's, or IMHO's.

I'm sure there are plenty of other, snottier, music blogs.... like this top 20 one. Which makes some good points, but maybe decided to weaponize snark. That's what seems to draw people in. That's what can pass for authority.

:worship Excellent post! Could not have said it better myself.

Yeah, I liked Bon Iver when he came out with his first EP.. And he was great live opening for Wilco in a room of about 50 people.. But when he started working with Kanye, it was all down hill from there..

And I agree, Black Keys shouldn't be on that list. They may be a hipster band to some, but they kick ass way too much to be labeled as a "worst hipster band".

Why? Kanye's great.

I gave up taking music critics too seriously a long time ago, because even if I agree strongly with one comment a critic makes, it seems like the next comment out of the same critic's mouth (pen) is something I totally disagree with. I've had far better luck with listening to the recommendations of a small pool of trusted friends, and the music I listen to the most is rarely what the current crop of critics are raving about.

Music is so hard to write about.