Who you calling a female dog?

I found this to be an enjoyable and interesting read by NPR's Ann Powers so I thought I'd share. It is basically a history of 'bitch' in music.

http://www.npr.org/b...you-calling-a-b

Pearl Jam covering 99 Problems has to be funny. Glad that she referenced The Dozens: The History of Rap's Mama. I'd like to read it. The last 15 years or so, when I mention the dozens to my students, no one knows what in hell I'm talking about. I remember when I was a kid, seeing kids play the dozens was hilarious. I loved it. My buddy Ivan would occasionally pity this white boy and give me a shot. I'd usually end up laughing at my meager attempts. Also liked 'Till the Cows Come Home'. That is some serious dirty!

Lots of interesting stuff in there, thanks. I saw this tweet from B.J. Novak this weekend, thought it was pretty funny: https://twitter.com/...316698437419008

I'm also interested in that book, looks great. My sister took some linguistics classes at Harvard. She said the best parts were hearing her very stuffy African-American professor parsing the grammar of the dozens, complete with some very graphic examples; and when he explained that there is a *correct* place, in the middle of any multi-syllable English word, to place "fucking" (as in "fan-fucking-tastic"; "fantas-fucking-tic" just doesn't work!). :lol

This, among other things, has created huge furor in the online Pearl Jam community (but not , seemingly, among the Pearl-Jam-fans-who-were-at-the-actual-show community). Seems the desktop jockeys have let it slide that Pearl Jam have been saying "bitch" on stage since at least 1994 ("Satan's Bed," anyone?).