I've been catching a song here and a song there from George and really loving him more and more each time that I hear him.

Where should I start with his albums? Or, should I just get a hits collection?

I have the below - great comp. Some of my earliest memories is playing nickel/quarter poker with my family and close family friends at their summer cottage in Indiana while listening to cassettes of George Jones.

30198.jpg

The Essential George Jones: The Spirit of Country

There is an excellent comp of George's early work out there. I found a couple old LPs for a buck a piece recently too. If you can find it there is a great LP with George and a bunch of rockc figures such as Elvis Costello. Don't think it came out on CD. Plenty of George Jones on CD out there, so you can't go too far wrong. Go with the early stuff.

LouieB

Over the last few years I've been exploring the old Country greats.......some, like the Louvin Bros, have blown me away. Others, like George Jones, not so much (I found him too produced, too "straight" if that makes any sense). However, I suggest checking out the Drive By Truckers tune "George Jones Talkin Cellphone Blues"....f'n awesome tune and funny too.

George Jones is one of the great country singers and one of the last living artists from the classic country/honky tonk period of the 50s and 60s. The Louvin Brothers were a bluegrass/gospel group which sounded more like the quartet/harmony singers of the earlier part of the 20th century. What they sang about and how they sang was somewhat different. I can understand liking the Louvins more in some respects, but George Jones has more in common with the more modern country singers of the Hank Williams school.

LouieB

Speaking of the Louvin's .........Charlies autobiography "Satan is Real-The Ballad of the Louvin Bros" is fantastic. The story of the persistence of those boys.....whoa...........AND they knew everybody in Country music. Highly recommended.

Subject matter is kind of out there for the times it was recorded in, for country music anyway.

The duets with Melba Montgomery are quite good also. Somewhat different than the ones with Tammy Wynette.

LouieB

I say go for I Am What I Am and The Grand Tour to start. Old country stars like George Jones have a TON of records, and it's easy to get lost. I also got a kickass compilation of his duets with Tammy Wynette for 3 bucks.