• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

homepage_large.01f06f8f.jpg

Scott Walker - Bish Bosch

31YdBkc5qJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Had to see what the hype was about.

IMO, it doesn't live up to the hype. But that does not mean that it isn't a really good album. I suppose that, whether or not you like it depends upon how you feel about modern RnB and hip-hop (mostly the former).

Definitely a modern soul album, but it frequently evokes the past, especially 70s Stevie Wonder.

I like it a lot.

IMO, it doesn't live up to the hype. But that does not mean that it isn't a really good album. I suppose that, whether or not you like it depends upon how you feel about modern RnB and hip-hop (mostly the former).

Definitely a modern soul album, but it frequently evokes the past, especially 70s Stevie Wonder.

I like it a lot.

Liking it more than I thought I would. I'm usually not a fan of that kind of style (Sadiiq is about as close as I usually get to R&B) but he writes some amazing songs. Very clever lyrics, some unique musical textures, quite a variety in styles, amazing falsetto. Not something I will probably return to a bunch but very impressive and I think at least somewhat justifies the hype.

0f39810ae7a050a13c9bb110.L._AA300_.jpg

Jeff Mangum - Live @ Jittery Joe's

And, now I am listening to the new demos that I made over the weekend; same song, male and female versions:
FEMALE: http://soundcloud.com/poptodd/you-wrote-this-song-rachel-1

MALE: http://soundcloud.com/poptodd/you-wrote-this-song-jack-final

That has always been my problem with Spiritualized: brilliant songs that just go on a little (or a lot) too long. Thing is, with this album the length of the songs really isn't bothering me too much. Not sure if it's that these songs are so much better, or that I am getting more patient with them as I get older.

I think that I need to revisit all the old albums of theirs.

There are some songs on Sweet Heart Sweet Light with justifiable lengths.  Some of them have great hooks, but overstay their welcome and enter the extremely broken record territory.

60d1ad47.jpg

Chromatics - Kill For Love

Not a bad cover of the classic Young song.

a3763990.jpg

Passion Pit - Gossamer

6a95bc70.jpg

Jamie Woon - Mirrorwriting

a269b51a.jpeg

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

2ef9ef83.jpeg

Tame Impala - Lonerism

header.jpg

Daniel Rossen - Silent Hour / Golden Mile [EP]

The best Grizzly Bear work this year is not a Grizzly Bear work.

589dcd5f.jpg

Frankie Rose - Interstellar

If you liked Melody's Echo Chamber, try this.

a27cc248.jpg

Sharon Van Etten - Tramp

03bd32e4.jpeg

Bob Mould - Silver Age