Nels Cline and Julian Lage - Club Metronome - Burlington, VT 12/19/12

Just returned from an incredible evening of music with Nels and Julian Lage.  Stunning.  Beautiful.  Haunting.  These words all come to mind...  This was the duos fifth show ever - with a few more shows coming in the next bunch days in New England.  Nels noted that they have just started playing together and were still working out the kinks - well, if that's the case, I would love to see them when all the kinks are worked out.  Nels played a six string and twelve string electric, and Julian played a six string acoustic for all but song.  Most of the songs were "untitled at this point" and are "works in progress."  Nels dedicated the final song of the evening which was actually suite to Yuka - it was simply gorgeous.  Julian is an incredible player with a similar style to Nels.  He is understated in his presentation and lets his guitar work do all the talking for him.

If this duo is headed your way in the next week or so - don't miss it.  Truly inspired playing by two musicians at the very top of their game.

Happy holidays to all...

Yeah, Nels and Julian really do play wonderfully together. After a recent show I caught in NYC, I thought to myself, "It seems like they've been playing together for years." But I think they just met earlier this year, through, appropriately enough, Jim Hall.

I think this might be a (the?) collaboration that Nels brings to Solid Sound next year.

Anyway, for lucky folks in the Northeast who have a chance to catch this little tour they're doing this week, it's definitely well worth the effort!

Nels has not played Chicago in awhile, but then again the rest of the band hasn't played with their other groups either.  I was thinking about that the other day actually.  Would love to see Nels again.

LouieB

Nels has not played Chicago in awhile, but then again the rest of the band hasn't played with their other groups either.  I was thinking about that the other day actually.  Would love to see Nels again.

LouieB

Yeah, I asked Nels when he and Julian are coming to play a Chicago date and he said it's "pretty much inevitable." I think Nels might be in town in February sometime doing some Wilco stuff, so maybe there will time for a gig then but I'm not sure...

My wife and I saw them last night in New London, CT. They were incredible. Very intimate show, and we were front row. We got to chat with them about music for a long time afterwards, which was great. Nels said they'll definitely be doing an album together. They were both remarkably nice.

We're seeing them again tonight in Hartford.

Great article!

After seeing two shows, I was blown away at exactly how much of it was improvisation (very different each night) and how in sync they were. We all know Nels is amazing, and Julian more than kept up. Of the two performances, I think Hartford was the strongest.

Nels also told me that, Julian's schedule permitting, they''re hoping to play at Solid Sound.