Muddy Waters House - empty and abandoned

I was south at the U of C folk fest but didn't have time to stop by.  Thanks for stopping and communing with the house.  Everyone I talk to wants to jump in on this because it so badly needs saving, but so far it seems like something is going to happen, but just not sure what.  Turning it back into housing seems a bad solution but at least it iwll save the structure.  The best would be for it to be a museum, music school, community center, or something interactive. 

You are right, with the red X on it is very omminous.  I now have noticed those red Xes on other buildings, a sign that they will be demonished at some point.  It just makes you realize what a sad state it is that Chicago would not want to be proactive and save the home of one of its most famous musical figures. (I sat in on a talk on the Chicago blues at the folk fest and of course Muddy's name and music came up frequesntly.  I did not have a chance to talk about this, since there was no time for question and answers at the session.)

LouieB

Did I say this already?  Apparently there is a short film about Muddy that was released about the time Robert Palmer's bio was published that has footage of Muddy and the band playing in the basement.  I hope to seek it out soon, but I am told it is available through Netfix if not other outlets.

LouieB

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posting this. Back when the other article was published Hoekstra was notified. Good for him for following up on it.  I am periodically asked by folks what is going on and what can be done, but ultimately as long as it is still in the hands of the owners, there isn't much.   So so sad.

LouieB

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/20579113-421/muddy-waters-family-will-launch-drive-to-fund-repairs-to-his-home.html

Muddy Waters’ family will launch drive to fund repairs to his home

BY DAVE HOEKSTRA dhoekstra@suntimes.com/@cstdhoekstra June 6, 2013 4:34PM

Another update by Hoekstra - looks like one of Waters' kids will start a Kickstarter campaign.

He will launch a Kickstarter campaign, “Mo Money Mo Blues,” on Wednesday after documenting on video the mostly European visitors who make pilgrimages to the house during the Chicago Blues Festival. He is trying to plan a series of benefit concerts through House of Blues clubs across the country. A local theater owner has offered assistance. Monson would like to have an annual Watersworld Music Festival.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/20579113-421/muddy-waters-family-will-launch-drive-to-fund-repairs-to-his-home.html

Another update by Hoekstra - looks like one of Waters' kids will start a Kickstarter campaign.

Dude, you are on this.  Glad I could help in a small way.  Clearly the idea of this house being demolished struck a chord with most people. 

If someone gets the kickstarter info, please post it here, I will certainly chip in.  Maybe Mick and Keith can front the rest.

LouieB

They should! They can certainly afford it. Talk about a cause near and dear to their hearts...

They made enough money doing three nights here in Chicago this past week to buy the thing outright. 

LouieB

Keith and MIck did help to pay for Hubert Sumlin's funeral and burial - so I guess there is some type of precedent. I wonder if anyone has reached out to the Stones?

There is also a story on the Sun Times site of pictures from the inside of the house.  It is a mess, but not hopeless.  If anyone can find this story, please post the link.

LouieB

• 9 months later...

More press:

http://www.davehoekstra.com/2014/04/10/new-light-on-the-muddy-waters-house/?fb_action_ids=10202468035034424&fb_action_types=og.likes

Nice quip by Hoekstra (fuckin shame that he was another Sun-Times cut - great interesting writer)

On Thursday the Sun-Times and Tribune featured reports of the city’s excitement about a potential George Lucas Museum.

What does George Lucas have to do with Chicago?

That won’t stop Mayor Emanuel from establishing a “task force” to identify sites.

Where’s the “task force” for the Muddy Waters house? The Chess Records studio, still one of the city’s most untapped musical sites. The mythical Chicago Blues Museum? A Gospel Music Hall of Fame?

Thanks for the update on this. I have not been by the house lately.  It is amazing that the city has no real interest in this, but does in Lucas' collection which has nothing to do with Chicago.

LouieB

This is not difficult to understand. The Star Wars franchise has made $27 billion and is hugely important to multiple generations of Americans. Muddy Waters is great and a foundational influence on American popular music, but there is zero chance that a Muddy Waters museum generates 5% of the tourism revenue that a Star Wars museum does.

A Muddy Waters museum would not net a dime really. I know that. There are too many issues in the neighborhood where this house is to attract many people. It's just sad I guess. Clearly a Star Wars museum along with some of Lucas' art collection would obviously be a big draw. But this house.....

LouieB