Saving for my dream guitar -- tempted by another

So, I'm about 3/4 of the way towards having enough money to get my 69 Tele Thinline reissue that I've been coveting.
But, then the shop has a used Mexi-built Jaguar that I played tonight. And I loved it. Lots of cool tone possibilities and much variety.

Plus, it's only $400 (used, in damn-near perfect condition).
Any of you have any experience with any recent-model Fender Jags from Mexico?

But I'm thinking that I want to at least wait until the 69 comes in and I get to play it before pulling the trigger on either.

Whaddya think?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should wait, sure you may have found a new love, but after your honeymoon is over you'll still be Jonesin' for the '69 Tele.

So, I'm about 3/4 of the way towards having enough money to get my 69 Tele Thinline reissue that I've been coveting.
But, then the shop has a used Mexi-built Jaguar that I played tonight. And I loved it. Lots of cool tone possibilities and much variety.

Plus, it's only $400 (used, in damn-near perfect condition).
Any of you have any experience with any recent-model Fender Jags from Mexico?

But I'm thinking that I want to at least wait until the 69 comes in and I get to play it before pulling the trigger on either.

Whaddya think?

I am thinking the same thing.

I just wanted some backup.

This is the Jaguar:
1.jpg

And this is the Tele Thinline:
013-6902-321.jpg

I'd wait.  I've made this mistake a couple times before and regretted it.

Maybe do this instead:  Keep saving and get the Tele.   Then save up some more and look into Squier's new Vintage Modified series of Jags, jazzmasters, Mustangs and Teles.   I got one of the Jazzmasters, and after a setup and putting .12s on it, it's a GREAT guitar that only cost $250. 

Getting both guitars is not an option. Fear not for my credit rating.

This.  Personally never been a fan of Tele's, but to each his own.  

I'd scoop up that Jag in a heartbeat.  I've always wanted one... 

Actually if it was a non mexi Jag I would probably go that route instead. I already have a Tele though. I still say Todd should stick with the plan and not get distracted by the shiny other thing.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like, with a sale that is going on right now, I HAVE ENOUGH!!!

The shop ordered one up for me and I should have my new baby any day now!

Giggity!

0136902321_zoom.jpg

Looks like, with a sale that is going on right now, I HAVE ENOUGH!!!
The shop ordered one up for me and I should have my new baby any day now!
Giggity!
0136902321_zoom.jpg

That is a damn nice guitar.

Just put down money on the Tele. It'll be mine as soon as it arrives in the shop.

Can't wait to get it home.

• 3 months later...

So Fender... your customer service SUCKS!
Fender promised delivery by June.
It got pushed back to the first week in August.
NOW, mid-OCTOBER!!!
It's enough to turn a guy into a Gibson man!
Get your production line and your butts in gear!

Called them out on their Facebook page and in Twitter, trying to shame them into getting their butts in gear. They told me to write their Customer Relations department.

This is the (verbatim) email that I sent them:

Fender Folks,
Back in May I ordered a '69 Telecaster Thinline reissue in natural from my local shop. Four times, now the arrival date of the instrument has been pushed back due to "production delays."
The first time I w
as a little bummed, but understand. The second time, when it was pushed back to July, I was a little perturbed. The third time, pushed back to August, getting annoyed.
Now, it has been pushed back to October -- and I am flat-out pissed.
I understand that there are production demands and whatnot, but to keep a customer waiting for a guitar that he has already paid for is bordering on arrogant.
Waiting to hear your response.
Thank you.

That sucks.  I would be furious and completely over it.  There are a lot of great Teles out there if you decide to get your money back and shop around.  Buying used would be a good way to punish Fender.

Thing is, by punishing Fender in that way, I would also be punishing the local little guitar shop to whom I really want to give my business.

Also, the model that I want (not just any Tele, but it HAS to be the '69 Thinlline reissue) does not appear to be available  in-stock in the color that I want. Anywhere. So I kinda have to wait to get what I want, otherwise I'm getting a guitar just to get a guitar. Don't have the money to throw away on that.

That's why I passed on the sweet Jaguar I mentioned earlier in the thread. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait. Unless something irresistible comes in, used.

But yeah, fuckers have me by the balls. All I can do is call them out on it. Hopefully they'll get the message.

(although I somehow doubt it.)

• 1 month later...

So, my Telecaster, supposedly arriving in early October should now be in... IN 30 DAYS according to the Fender guy!
The good news is, I think that I may be able to get them to upgrade the damn pickups for my excessive waiting and constant delays.
Fuckers.