Besides Wilco, anybody know of any other semi-modern bands (1990-present) who are self proclaimed Television fans, and the influence is obvious? Seems like they don't get name dropped by many of todays bands nearly as much as The Ramones, or Talking Heads or other bands of that scene do.

Guess you gotta say Matthew Sweet, too.

He did hire on Richard Lloyd, after all.

Pavement

• 5 months later...

Television will perform at The Independent in San Francisco on November 5 and The Georgia Theatre in Athens, GA on November 7. The influential rock band, who recorded their seminal albumMarquee Moon in 1977, will be performing in Southeastern United States for the first time since 1993. The band will also perform at this year’s Fun Fun Fun Fest, which takes place in Austin, TX November 8-10. These dates will be the band’s first shows U.S. shows since 2007.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2013/08/20/television-to-play-three-u-s-shows#.Uht9OtK-1Nd

What will be the line-up? Has Verlaine made peace with Lloyd?

Television will perform at The Independent in San Francisco on November 5 and The Georgia Theatre in Athens, GA on November 7. The influential rock band, who recorded their seminal albumMarquee Moon in 1977, will be performing in Southeastern United States for the first time since 1993. The band will also perform at this year’s Fun Fun Fun Fest, which takes place in Austin, TX November 8-10. These dates will be the band’s first shows U.S. shows since 2007.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2013/08/20/television-to-play-three-u-s-shows#.Uht9OtK-1Nd

What will be the line-up? Has Verlaine made peace with Lloyd?

Lloyd is out, never to return, or so he says.  Jimmy Rip has replaced him.

I have tickets for the Georgia Theater show.

Lloyd is out, never to return, or so he says.  Jimmy Rip has replaced him.

I have tickets for the Georgia Theater show.

Sorry, then this is not Television.

I'd certainly prefer to see Lloyd rather than Rip, but I don't buy that. 

You ever seen them live with Lloyd?

Trust me on this one.

You ever seen them live with Lloyd?

Trust me on this one.

Yes, on their first reunion tour, and I've seen Lloyd twice apart from Television.   I'm not saying Rip is as good as Lloyd (I know nothing of Rip), but to say it's not Television is silly.  I can't abide that level of purism.

Yes, and I've seen Lloyd twice apart from Television.   I'm not saying Rip is as good as Lloyd (I know nothing of Rip), but to say it's not Television is silly.  I can't abide that level of purism.

Normally neither can I. But for me, and many others I think, what made Television Television was the interplay and chemistry between Lloyd and Verlaine.

I mean, as incredible as Ficca and Smith are, I do think that they can be replaced and you will still have Television. But not Lloyd.

Not being a purist snob, here. Just calling it as I see it.

Normally neither can I. But for me, and many others I think, what made Television Television was the interplay and chemistry between Lloyd and Verlaine.

I mean, as incredible as Ficca and Smith are, I do think that they can be replaced and you will still have Television. But not Lloyd.

Not being a purist snob, here. Just calling it as I see it.

The Allman Brothers were largely defined by the interplay between Duane Allman and Dickey Betts.  They're both gone, and I'm OK with the Allman Brothers name being used.

So, it looks like we're talking past each other on this one.   I'd much rather see Lloyd in the band, but I'm going anyway and I don't mind them calling it Television.

I strongly disagree that Billy Ficca could be replaced any easier than anyone else in the band.  He's one of the most unique drummers ever in rock music (I say that as a drummer who has seen him multiple times), and the heights that Verlaine and Lloyd reached with their interplay would have been very different and probably far less good were it not for Ficca's playing. 

The Allman Brothers were largely defined by the interplay between Duane Allman and Dickey Betts.  They're both gone, and I'm OK with the Allman Brothers name being used.

So, it looks like we're talking past each other on this one.   I'd much rather see Lloyd in the band, but I'm going anyway and I don't mind them calling it Television.

I strongly disagree that Billy Ficca could be replaced any easier than anyone else in the band.  He's one of the most unique drummers ever in rock music (I say that as a drummer who has seen him multiple times), and the heights that Verlaine and Lloyd reached with their interplay would have been very different and probably far less good were it not for Ficca's playing. 

Oh yeah, Ficca is amazing.

I saw them on that 92 tour, as well and was duly impressed. I also agree that he would be hard to replace. Maybe it's because I'm a guitar player and you're a drummer that we are not agreeing on this point.

And, for the record: I think that Verlaine's sublime guitar solo on "Marquee Moon" belongs every bit as much to Ficca as it does to Verlaine. When you really listen to it, you can hear Verlaine being egged on by the rest of the band, and the drums in particular.

I saw them on that 92 tour, as well and was duly impressed. I also agree that he would be hard to replace. Maybe it's because I'm a guitar player and you're a drummer that we are not agreeing on this point.

I'm actually a guitarist, too.  :guitar

I agree that Lloyd is hard to replace.  My only issue is that it's ok for them to call it Television.   It might be a watered down Television.  But then again, it might be a watered down Television even if Lloyd was still in the band.  It's possible that this lineup could be better than the original lineup at this point.   I doubt that's the reality of things, but it could be.  Espcially since Lloyd can't stand working with Verlaine.  Lloyd wanted the band to be an ongoing project.  Verlaine wanted it to do it once every few years, at most.  So Lloyd has washed his hands fo the whole thing. 

EDIT (edit finction isn't working, so I'm putting it here):  For the sake of silencing the nit-pickers, by "original lineup" I'm referring to the Marquee Moon --> 90s lineup, not the Richard Hell lineup.

Really?

I've listened to those guys since "Beet" and never made the connection.

I only have 'Ursa Major' from 11thDD and hear some 'Television/Verlaine solo there (the 'angular' guitars), although without the wonderful Tom/Richard interplay.