Stereogum's Progress Report: Jeff Tweedy

I love this:

STEREOGUM: When you were going in to start the work on One True Vine, what was the conversation like between you and her? Did she have some ideas about what she wanted to do with it, or was it more like, “Let’s keep this vibe going and see what happens?”

TWEEDY:: We did talk about it. Pretty early on after the last record, she expressed some interest in making another record. And when the time came, she had a specific idea in mind. She wanted to make a record just her and I, or at least start on a record just the two of us. I don’t know if in her mind it was going to end up being just an acoustic guitar and the two of us. We did some versions of songs on the last record like that as promotion. We actually got asked to play together, and it was fun to do, so I think she wanted to start there. And I think once we got the ball rolling like that, my son Spencer was on spring break, and he plays the drums, so he was around, and he ended up playing some drums on some stuff. Nobody else was around because we didn’t really plan on anybody else being on the record, so I ended up playing a lot of the instruments. And then it kind of took on a life of its own and ended up being more fleshed out than just Mavis and I singing duets. But the idea was to come at it from a very different angle than the last one.

That is a wonderful interview, Beatriz! Buried in there is the sort-of sad, sort-of understandable, statement that Solid Sound might turn into an every other year festival, considering how many other things are on the band's plates.

STEREOGUM: You guys took a year off from doing it. What was the deal with that?

TWEEDY: It’s a lot of manpower for us, and even more so for our management. Last year we had a record come out. It was a pretty heavy touring year. It just wasn’t a thing we could handle at the same time of doing a lot of touring in terms of the workload. So yeah, we’ll probably do it every other year, or if we have a couple years strung together where we’re not as busy, we might do it back to back. But yeah, to do it right and not cut corners and not make it something we just threw together, that requires it having a little bit more of our undivided attention.

So. . . if by chance anyone has the flexibility to change their minds and come to the festival THIS year, it might be your last chance till 2015. Just sayin'. . . .

Guest Jules

New issue of Chicago magazine says 2014. Jeff mentioned it at the LRS but I wasn't sure it was public info. Apparently it is. I assume they recorded when Wilco was in Japan?

Also, Jim is still totally making music.  He has a new album out this week that got reviewed in Pitchfork this morning.  I think he talked a lot about being less interested in working on music, and more interested in film in a couple interviews years ago when he moved to Japan.  That impression seems to have stuck in everyone's mind.  His musical output has been limited, and a bit more obscure than his Drag City hay day.

Guest Jules

Oh. He doesn't talk about Loose Fur in the interview. There's a blurb sidebar thing about all the Wilco side projects and it mentions am album in 2014.

Oh. He doesn't talk about Loose Fur in the interview. There's a blurb sidebar thing about all the Wilco side projects and it mentions am album in 2014.

Ah, I see... Thanks. Still would be nice to see the interview! Though I assume it will show up here at some point.

Also, Jim is still totally making music.  He has a new album out this week that got reviewed in Pitchfork this morning.  I think he talked a lot about being less interested in working on music, and more interested in film in a couple interviews years ago when he moved to Japan.  That impression seems to have stuck in everyone's mind.  His musical output has been limited, and a bit more obscure than his Drag City hay day.

According to this interview, he's working on his next record in the vein of Insignificance and Eureka: http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/feature/7344/Jim-ORourke-interview-transcript